I5-2500k overheating?

Synaedir

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my 2500k and hopefully you can help me about that. I bought it about 2 weeks ago alongside with an Asus P867H MB. Everything was running fine since then, no problems.

Yesterday I had to reboot and during the BIOS POST I got a CPU overheat warning. I entered BIOS and saw the CPU being at
over 80°C. Staying in the BIOS menu the temp fell to about 50°C and I decided to close the BIOS. The following POST threw out the warning again. So I started to be a bit concerned about burning down the money I spent just two weeks ago.

Strange about this is, that I played for hours before the reboot and the were no slowdowns, stutters, freezes or similar.

Since the installed fan is the Intel stock-fan I today decided to buy a new fan, since I always had problems installing the Intel ones, though I was sure it was fixed to the board properly. I bought an Arctic Cooler 7 Rev. 2, installed it and started the system.

Still, SpeedFan throws out 85°C in idle mode in Windows. What I don't get is that both, SpeedFan and CPUID show core temperatures of a maximum of 40-50°, but the CPU temp so high. Isn't that illogical?

What's also strange, is that as soon as I start a game (in the case SW:TOR) the temperature drops to 56°C. Whats wrong with it? Is it just a misread?

Thanks in advance.

Synaedir

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
So, if it's bad sensors misreading the temperature, can I leave it as it is? Will the shown temperature of the cores tell me the real temperature then?

G

your thermal paste may be still in a break in period, it performs better after it "burns in"

or if your sensors are inaccurate it would be when your temps are low, like <35 C, and are accurate under load.

it is never a bad idea to reseat the heatsink, just to make sure.

EDIT: if you have two monitors, such as core temp, speed fan and/or hardware monitor showing much better core temps than the cpu, i would suspect the cpu case temp sensor being inaccurate. not the best case but not harmful. it *may* affect any thermal protection enabled in your bois, causing an unnecessary shut down. but i highly doubt that.

ashdeman

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Sounds like a bad sensor really. The Arctic Cooler 7 is a great cooler and as long you installed it correctly it shouldn't get near 80 C on load or idle. I would start to be worried if it starts shutting down.

Synaedir

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Ok, thanks for your replies first of all. Checked the fan, it's installed correctly. So, you think, as long there's no strange behaviour as slowdown or shutdown of the system I can leave it as it is?