Does RMA cost me anything?

sammyboy2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I am RMA'ing a XFX 650W XXX EDITION PSU because it shorted when i installed it and i was told to RMA it but before i do that i was wondering does it cost me money? like do they refund the shipping hastle? or do i get anything for it? or is it simply I send it, pay for it and get the same repaired PSU back?
I was already upset as It was the highlight of my day and as soon as I got it it broke so the way I look at it im paying even more money now for a product that was already classified as "very expensive" in my eyes.

Thanks all.

sammyboy2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I bought it from XFX shop and they sent me a RMA form and i have to send it to them, should i request the shipping expenses back? as under the sale and supply of goods act i am entitled to a full refund without expenses. Thanks all:)

Hi :)

That depends on local laws in your country....its NOT true for the UK as an example...

All the best Brett :)

hairystuff

Distinguished
From experience when I've purchased an item from ebuyer they've always collected it at their expense when the items was large or heavy, small A4 jiffy bag items I've sent back to them via post or they've provided paid postage lables or postal refunds, inexpensive large and/or heavy items (£12 or less) have been just re dispatched without collection of the defective items. amazon have always provided paid postage lables or couriers for collection of defective items.

skaz

Distinguished

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization. So that basically means you have been authorized to return the merchandise in questions. It does not mean its free or cost money. It simply means you received authorization to return it, typically they will give you a unique number to authenticate the authorization.

Now getting onto the meat of the question, the cost. This heavily depends on the manufacture's warranty and the retailers return policy. You didn't state who exactly your returning it to. Typically if the fault of the item was the item it's self and your going through the retailer then you would be given either a refund or a replacement. Again, depending on who you are going through the shipping charges will probably not be reimbursed. And if your were going through the manufacture they would typically give you a replacement which is normally a refurbished unit. Again, typically the shipping charges are not reimbursed.

What I have told you is based on general return methods for retailers and manufactures. So to get the exact answer you will need to know the warranty or return policy for who you are returning the item to.

In general if they didn't send you a shipping label and you actually paid for it yourself you're not getting that money back. Your laws may vary but some manufactures/companies will pay for it and most won't. Some wont do it unless you ask

sammyboy2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I purchased the item off XFX shop.co.uk, and its being sent back to that retailer, its the main website retailer and im just concerned because the item is very heavy and knowing my luck it will cost alot to send it and also since my item was defective under normal circumstances (ie i followed the correct instructions) am i not entitled to a full refund or new product, i just dont see why i should pay extra money for an item which i should have received full working in the first place, and i could have bought it off ebuyer too and this would be so much easier. Thanks again all.

skaz

Distinguished
Here you go brother...

http://www.xfxshop.co.uk/faq.aspx#a12
"Returns Policy

Our returns policy is to refund any items sent back within 7 days of you receiving your ordered items providing returns are in their original condition and packaging. You will be liable for shipping charges for the returned product.

Please note, a restocking fee of £10.00 may be charged. If your product is faulty, please Contact us for RMA authorisation. You can then return the faulty product. Subject to testing by our technicians, your product will be replaced, or refunded."

Kind of funny how they word it. "Return merchandise authorization authorisation". ?

sammyboy2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
So i need to contact them for furthur details then? because it states for "returning" the product you are liable for costs not for RMA.

Thanks Mate

skaz

Distinguished

I see what your saying but the RMA will still be considered a return. Say you were returning the item for a full refund with in the 7 days. They would still send you a RMA number to "return" the items.

Definitely contact them regardless though if you haven't already.

I had to RMA a monitor due to a back light problem (half the screen was VERY bright compared to the other half) Hadn't even had the thing a whole day when I contacted them (ACER) to see what could be done. they said yes send it back, they also said they will not pay for shipping... I was disputing my case very nicely for a few days and just said "F" it, gave newegg a ring said I talked to the company and they said it was definitely defective and it was ok to return it, I explained how they would not pay shipping costs and how frustrating it was to be required to pay 15 dollar shipping on an item I never even had a chance to use.

They paid shipping and patted me on the back :)

Same thing with an XFX 6870 this time I didn't contact the company, just went straight to newegg and said it was obnoxiously loud (it really was, single fan, got to 80% fan speed under only very moderate load temps were at 80c-87c furmark)

They said fine but I might need to pay for shipping + restocking fee, I said uhm ok, is there any possible way I can get the return on a newegg gift card so I can buy a more expensive card with a better cooler?(twin frozr 2 6870) they said sure and then in my inbox was return shipping + restocking fee waved

So, I mean... don't argue just express your concerns in a polite manner and most companies will just say alright, don't worry about it.

sammyboy2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I just read off the consumer rights page (UK)

If the wrong item is delivered or it’s faulty
If you've been sent the wrong item or the item is faulty, you can return it and ask for your money back. In these cases the seller MUST cover the cost of returning the items.

Also I read that the rights of the consumer apply regardless of the suppliers warranty or policy.

sammyboy2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Yes I understand that i bought it online from XFXSHOP so im going to ring them on monday and explain the whole story, then im going to ask for my money back (which i am entitled to) and then buy it off ebuyer