Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't receive verification email (annoying question, I know)

Last response: in Forum Feedback
Anonymous
April 22, 2010 10:38:48 PM

Ug. Can anyone help me with this, or let me know how I can contact a moderator? The Help link at the bottom of the page is down, and I have tried 2 email addresses to get verified. It's a gmail address and it's not getting directed to my spam folder. I've tried logging out and re-requesting the validation email as instructed, but to no avail. The popup is driving me crazy and i'm afraid my account will get locked in about 16 hrs.
Anonymous
April 23, 2010 6:17:03 AM

anyone help with this? my 48 hrs is almost up...
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
April 25, 2010 12:01:53 AM

Yes I did that. I even tried with a different browser. This is my second account. I've tried it with two different gmail addresses, and they are very normal addresses (no sketchy words or anything). What's the deal!? It's incredibly painful to use this site with that slow loading, godawful lightbox you guys force on us, and I don't want to have to create a new account every two days.
m
l
April 25, 2010 2:34:25 PM

Hello,

Here are the instructions to resend your confirmation e-mail:

1. Go to www.tomshardware.com and click log out in the upper right (if you are logged in)

2. In the upper right click Sign In

3. A window will pop up. In that window, click the link that says "You did not receive the confirmation email?"

4. Input your e-mail address, and the confirmation e-mail should be resent.

If this still does not work, please try creating your account with an alternative e-mail.

Thank You,
Justin
m
l
Anonymous
April 26, 2010 6:46:54 PM

Thanks for pasting in the instructions from the thread that I said I already followed twice.

I have done those exact steps. Twice. With two different email addresses.

I am not an idiot who doesn't know how to follow instructions or use a computer. If I were, I probably wouldnt be at Tom's Hardware :)  . I am trying to provide you with information that can help track down the issue, but if you just keep repeating the same thing, we won't get anywhere.

Here, again, are the steps that I followed:
Quote:
Try clearing your cookies and all internet temp files first.

Quote:

1. Go to www.tomshardware.com and click log out in the upper right (if you are logged in)

2. In the upper right click Sign In

3. A window will pop up. In that window, click the link that says "You did not receive the confirmation email?"

4. Input your e-mail address, and the confirmation e-mail should be resent.

If this still does not work, please try creating your account with an alternative e-mail.
m
l
April 27, 2010 5:30:07 AM

Third time was the charm. I finally had to use a Hotmail account. The two gMail accounts I used failed. All the "Anonymous" posts in this thread are from me, by the way. Is there any chance I can get the posts I created with those two expired accounts credited back to this account? Mainly the thread I posted, titled: "I5-750 vs i7-860 (or i7-920) 3+ yrs down the road- which will hold up?"
m
l
April 27, 2010 5:36:27 AM

Also, can I try switching the email back to my actualy GMail address?

The message says "Warning: A confirmation email will be sent to your new email address. Your account won't be activated until you click on the activation link in the email."

Will my account become Inactive then until I get the confirmation email (which I assume will again not go through)? I'd like to have my actual email address associated with this, so I can get post notifications, etc..., but I don't want to risk deactivating this account, now that I am finally validated.

However, I was forced to use a Hotmail address that is only used for this, and which can't be forwarded to another account. So your verification system is in effect forcing me to use a made-up email address.
m
l

Best solution

April 27, 2010 11:52:43 AM

I restored you as author of the thread you mentioned. However, I can only do that for the thread, not for individual posts.

Glad to see you got in. Now that you are verified, I believe you can change your email address with no problem. You can always test it, and if for some reason it doesn't work, change it back to the hotmail account.
a b 1 Email
April 27, 2010 1:57:36 PM

Very strange. Typically Gmail will accept the e-mail as regular mail, and only on occasion will it flag it as spam, but this is the first I've heard of it not even allowing it to come through.

I'll look into seeing what we can do to ensure that this doesn't occur again.
m
l
April 27, 2010 2:00:37 PM

Thanks Joe :) 
m
l
April 27, 2010 3:04:10 PM

Thanks to you both. I swear I'm not crazy :)  It just seems crazy that it happen to me with two different GMail addresses, yet no other GMail users would be reporting an issue. Ah well, it's resolved for me now, so thanks.
m
l
August 12, 2010 3:00:06 PM

Best answer selected by kghastie.
m
l
!