Sign in with
Your question

RAM stick dies upon additional kit going in.

Last response: in Memory
a b } Memory
January 7, 2013 8:49:38 AM

Hey there.
I recently upgraded my machine with an additional 8GB (2x4GB) to supplement the 8GB kit I already had (the two kits are identical), as well as a T-Line to my water-loop and a sound card.
After about 20mins of light usage, Windows and the BIOS recognizes 16GB of RAM, my computer suddenly crashes and gives off four beeps, a memory problem.
Iv gone through general troubleshooting and it seems that one of the old sticks has died. This seems strange to me, as I have had no memory issues beforehand and the new kit works just fine.

Just asking if there is a possibility that adding the new kit has somehow killed this stick, is this a known occurence or is it just coincidence that it decides now is the time to die?

Also I am fairly sure this is isnt the cause, but when adding the T-Line a small amount of water fell on the motherboard on this area (the stick that failed is the 2nd from the right).

There was no power running through the system (24pin ATX and 4pin CPU power were disconnected beforehand), all the water was mopped up and I left it to dry for about 10mins. After that time I couldn't see or feel any remaining moisture and the system wasn't turned on for at least another hour after the spilling.

EDIT: Just realized I should probably include a link to the RAM kit model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 104 } Memory
January 7, 2013 3:39:42 PM

Did you configure any settings in BIOS? Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V to see if it can be stable.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

m
l
a b } Memory
January 7, 2013 4:18:30 PM

Is that a crapload of dust I see on the mobo?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 8, 2013 12:46:40 AM

^No that would be water. And the Extreme4 does have a brown PCB.

@gskill support

The machine refuses to POST with the dead stick connected. Just gives off four beeps and the LED debug says 55, according to the mobo manual both mean a memory error. The stick doesnt work in any slot.
Pretty sure its dead, its fine since I can return it to the retailer I got it from. I was just wondering if its a known occurrence that old RAM can sometimes die upon a new kit going in.
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
January 8, 2013 3:45:48 PM

Memory is very random. How it is handled during installation can also make a difference. But that is why all G.Skill memory kits are backed by a lifetime warranty. You never have to worry about this problem.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

manofchalk said:
^No that would be water. And the Extreme4 does have a brown PCB.

@gskill support

The machine refuses to POST with the dead stick connected. Just gives off four beeps and the LED debug says 55, according to the mobo manual both mean a memory error. The stick doesnt work in any slot.
Pretty sure its dead, its fine since I can return it to the retailer I got it from. I was just wondering if its a known occurrence that old RAM can sometimes die upon a new kit going in.

m
l
!