Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Asus
  • CPUs
  • LED Monitor
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2013 3:32:53 PM

I started up my pc the day of the build seemed to have worked fine, installed windows all the basic stuff and the next day i start it up and 1-2 hours later it is off and the cpu led is on.

I called asus they said to try to reset the CMOS i had done that it seemed to have solved the problem, and yet again the cpu led is on an hour later. So once again i call asus they told me to remove the RAM and try to start it up that way and i got nothing again. So i call back later and I was told maybe i needed to update the BIO's but that didnt work either. The pc only seems to boot up ever 6-10 hours and only work for 15 minutes to an hour.

Asus Sabertooh 990FX R2.0 motherboard
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4GHz AM3+ processor
Corsair 4GB XMS3 memory x2
Ultra LSP550W PSU
Lite-ON 24x DVDRW
ASUS Radeon HD 6670 HD6670-2GD3 Video Card - 2GB

1. try to reset CMOS
2. boot up without RAM
3. update bios
4. reconnect everything

Thanks if anyone can help me that would be great.

More about : red cpu led

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 4:32:47 PM

If the CPU error LED is on, and given that things seem to shut down after a period of time, I would start by reapplying the thermal paste to the CPU. Also, a 550W PSU seems to be cutting things a little close power wise. That GPU alone wants at least 400W.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 145 à CPUs
a c 94 V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 5:05:32 PM

The CPU LED indicates that the CPU is failing to execute the BIOS far enough to turn it off, which it should, which indicates that the CPU is not installed properly or the CPU/MoBo is defective.

Re-applying the HSF should not change anything unless wiggling the HSF incidentally fixes a bad contact somewhere.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 5:15:04 AM

cl-scott said:
If the CPU error LED is on, and given that things seem to shut down after a period of time, I would start by reapplying the thermal paste to the CPU. Also, a 550W PSU seems to be cutting things a little close power wise. That GPU alone wants at least 400W.

What do you think a good PSU would be? the one i got came in a bare-bone kit.
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:27:04 AM

Fdx216 said:
What do you think a good PSU would be? the one i got came in a bare-bone kit.

700W power supply should be comfortable. 900 - 1000 if you wanted to eventually crossfire.

As far as getting a red CPU LED, it should go away if you remove the GPU and the LED would move to VGA (to eliminate the GPU sucking up all the power)

If the red light doesn't move, change the CPU to a different chip (AM3 or AM3+ socket is compatible) if you can. If you can't, return the motherboard and CPU for new parts.
(I work for ASUS tech support)
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 145 à CPUs
a c 94 V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 11:05:47 AM

cl-scott said:
Also, a 550W PSU seems to be cutting things a little close power wise. That GPU alone wants at least 400W.

The HD6670 does not even use 75W, no PCIe power connectors. Even the HD7970 uses less than 170W stock. The most power-hungry single-GPU cards ever have used in the neighborhood of 275W.

The 400W "requirement" is nothing more than a recommendation based on the fact that GPU manufacturers have no idea what is in your PC and no idea how good/crappy your PSU is.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...
Even an i7-3960X overclocked to 4.2GHz with a single high-end GPU draws only about 350W peak from the wall, which means this includes PSU losses, HDD, RAM, motherboard components, case fans, etc. as well so not even the highest-powered single-GPU cards currently on the market come anywhere near 400W.

Not to mention that feeding a 400W GPU would require 2x 8-pin power + 1x 6-pin power. AFAIK, no card in history has ever had triple PCIe power connectors. Most boards today max out at 1x8 + 1x6 (300W max power) and will work fine with either 1x8 or 2x6 (225W max) since they use less than 200W.
January 8, 2013 11:49:22 AM

the1corrupted said:
700W power supply should be comfortable. 900 - 1000 if you wanted to eventually crossfire.

As far as getting a red CPU LED, it should go away if you remove the GPU and the LED would move to VGA (to eliminate the GPU sucking up all the power)

If the red light doesn't move, change the CPU to a different chip (AM3 or AM3+ socket is compatible) if you can. If you can't, return the motherboard and CPU for new parts.
(I work for ASUS tech support)

Well i contacted the company i order it from and the guy on the phone wasn't very helpful made condescending remarks and said to buy another CPU cooling fan.
m
l
January 8, 2013 12:12:06 PM

Best answer selected by Fdx216.
m
l
!