Upgrade HP p6754y

dmwhiteman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
A friend of mine bought an HP p6754y to play games on. It was a fail haha. He is now looking at what to upgrade in order to play games on a higher setting than Ultra Low. He already upgraded the video card which helped a little.

His system is as follows

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
RAM: 4 gigs
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 5450

Windows 7 64bit

We are thinking that the CPU could be upgraded, but after looking at charts on here it is only the tier below what I use (AMD 955 Black Edition) and I can run most games on high settings. So now we are unsure what the next step to take is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The issue is the graphics card, it's just too weak to game on. The graphics card is the main part of a gaming pc as it's the graphics card handling the graphics. As well as the cpu hierarchy chart, there is a gpu hierarchy chart. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html As you can see the 5450 is only 1 tier above the integrated that came with the computer, so he wasted money for not much of an upgrade. The cpu is plenty power for a decent gaming rig. You will need to upgrade the psu for any gpu upgrade as that stock 250w is just not enough. I would suggest a 6870 with a 450w psu but what is your budget?

dmwhiteman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Thanks. I told him in the beginning that the card he choose wouldnt be enough haha. Broke the news to him that he should spend about $200 if he wants improvements. He was not to delighted haha. Thanks for your help!

edit: His budget was what he spent on the HP and the card. Rushed into things instead of waiting and saving a bit. And he is very against ordering online, so instead went to Best Buy. He will learn haha