Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New System Build Please Review

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 29, 2011 3:01:56 PM

Hello everybody,


Buying a new computer for my brother from Scan 3XS. The computer is going to be mainly used for gaming and general browsing.

Here is a spec I had in mind but I was wondering if you guys could give it the once over and see if you can offer any suggestions.


Case: Silverstone Fortress FT01B Black Mid Tower Full Aluminum
Motherboard - Intel Z68 Chipset: Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z68 Chipset
CPU - Intel 2nd Generation "Sandy Bridge": Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz Quad Core 6Mb Cache
CPU Coolers: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro BK016 Performance CPU Cooler OR Corsair H80
Overclocking - CPU: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Sandy Bridge CPU professionally overclocked by our 3XS engineers to 4.7Ghz!!
Memory - DDR3: 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600Mhz
NVIDIA Graphics: 1280Mb EVGA GTX 570 797MHz GPU 480 Cores 3900MHz GDDR5
Power Supply Unit: 650W Corsair HX Series Modular - (Dual 570's Graphics Cards)
Solid State Drives: 128Gb Crucial RealSSD M4 6Gbs Read 415MB s Write 175MB s
Optical Drive 1 - DVD Blu Ray: LG CH10LS20 - 8x Blu-Ray Reader & DVDRW
Sound Card: *Sound Card Not Required Use On Board Sound*
Case Cooling Fans: Few Blue LED Fans
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - OEM
Monitor: Dell 24" U2410


If any amendments are suggested I shall change it and hopefully place an order tonight !


Thank you for anyone's input in advance !


Regards,
MBizzle

More about : system build review

November 29, 2011 3:35:20 PM

It is not a bad rig, but at what price? I wouldn't pay any more than $1500 for it, and I know that I could build it for less.
November 29, 2011 3:47:34 PM

Don't pay them to overclock your system. That's like paying someone to clean your room when you can do it yourself.
Related resources
November 29, 2011 3:53:30 PM

the silverstone fortress ft02 is a better case... whether from cooling perspective or appearance.. though it is much more expensive than the ft01...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-fortress-sst...

however... if you can accept the look of silverstone raven rv02... then you'll still get a better case than ft01 while save extra money that goes to ft02...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-raven-rv02b-...


also... you wrote that you want to go for dual gtx 570... so i'll suggest to get a good quality 850 watts instead of 650 watts....

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w-psu-ocz-technology-...
November 29, 2011 6:26:51 PM

chesteracorgi said:
It is not a bad rig, but at what price? I wouldn't pay any more than $1500 for it, and I know that I could build it for less.


Regardless of the price it comes to they charge £125 for my particular setup for building it, no need to argue that building it your self is cheaper as the extra price justifys it my opinion and as I said it comes to personal preference.


cutebeans said:
Don't pay them to overclock your system. That's like paying someone to clean your room when you can do it yourself.


In all of there systems they overclock free of charge, I know that some companies ask ridiculous amounts but Scan do it for free of charge.


phenom90 said:
the silverstone fortress ft02 is a better case... whether from cooling perspective or appearance.. though it is much more expensive than the ft01...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-fortress-sst...

however... if you can accept the look of silverstone raven rv02... then you'll still get a better case than ft01 while save extra money that goes to ft02...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-raven-rv02b-...


also... you wrote that you want to go for dual gtx 570... so i'll suggest to get a good quality 850 watts instead of 650 watts....

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w-psu-ocz-technology-...



In terms of aesthetics I prefer the FT01 personally.

And I will be going with only the one Evga GTX 570, that's just a copy and paste from the system specifications and they recommend the 650 watt if you go dual 570, so to confirm I will only have one.
November 29, 2011 7:24:17 PM

So does everything look good guys ?
November 29, 2011 10:10:24 PM

still... in my opinion everything is looking good except for the casing and power supply... i will recommend getting a 850watts instead... unless you're sure that you will never upgrade to something that chews more power... then it's fine... as for ft01... i really don't think the 180mm fan in front plus another one at top with only a 120mm as a exhaust would be enough to cool... ecspecially since front intake fan is blocked by huge hdd cage...
November 30, 2011 7:04:30 AM

phenom90 said:
still... in my opinion everything is looking good except for the casing and power supply... i will recommend getting a 850watts instead... unless you're sure that you will never upgrade to something that chews more power... then it's fine... as for ft01... i really don't think the 180mm fan in front plus another one at top with only a 120mm as a exhaust would be enough to cool... ecspecially since front intake fan is blocked by huge hdd cage...


I guess having the extra juice wont do any harm. I have seen a ft01 in person I like its build quality and aesthetics, and they now come with silverstones air penetrator fans. :pt1cable: 

Ordering the setup now, I will post pics when it arrives guys !
!