ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z "CMOS Error" - Q-code 99

Status
Not open for further replies.

L5132

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I recently bought the motherboard stated in the title, and installed all my components, tried to boot up, and repeatedly had the issue of it hanging at Q-code 99, and showing the Q-led for a boot disk error. I tried several things, such as resetting the CMOS via several methods- The CMOS clear button, the jumper, and removing the battery and waiting. None of this helped at all. The board does not complete the POST successfully, making it impossible to access the BIOS or install an OS. I checked the BIOS version it shipped with, which was 0508, and then I attempted to flash to 1101 using the ROG connect button method, but I continued to get the same errors. I have no way to check if it actually updated the BIOS, as I cannot access anything. I should mention that I got the "CMOS error" message/interpretation from checking with my laptop and ROG connect. I have tried to find solutions via Google searches, but I cannot find any threads with a problem like the one I am getting.

I have heard that it is possible to replace the BIOS chip, and was wondering if that would help with the issues I am having. I should mention that I tested with a known good video card and in different PCI-E slots. The video card was also tested after being installed and the same error occurring, and it continued to function correctly in my other PC so I am sure that the video output issue is not related the video card. The BIOS chip is $15 off of ASUS's site, but if there is a quicker and cheaper way to solve this issue I would much, much prefer to try that. I will get the full sequence of the Q-codes and the ROG connect readout when I get home and can try again. Everything spins up (DVD drive, HDDs, and my flash drive appears to be detected.) and appears to function fine. I get the same error and Q-led for the boot disk with all HDDs and disk drives removed.

I suppose I could RMA the board if I have to, but if there's another option, that is my preference.

The CPU I have is an FX-8350, which was supported starting at BIOS 806, which is the reason I tried to flash the BIOS, and why I think it may not have worked.

Thanks, L5

Solution
Hi,
Try again the flashback for flashing the BIOS.
Use a FAT formatted USB stick. Download, unzip and rename the file to C5FZ.CAP
Connect the USB to the designated USB flahback port (not all USB ports support flashback). Don't start the board, just make sure that the power supply is on and the power cables are connected to the board. Press the ROG Connect button until a flashing light appears (signaling that the flashing has started).
Without the required BIOS version the system does not boot.
If flashing does not work, then yes, the next step would be buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one.
Hi,
Try again the flashback for flashing the BIOS.
Use a FAT formatted USB stick. Download, unzip and rename the file to C5FZ.CAP
Connect the USB to the designated USB flahback port (not all USB ports support flashback). Don't start the board, just make sure that the power supply is on and the power cables are connected to the board. Press the ROG Connect button until a flashing light appears (signaling that the flashing has started).
Without the required BIOS version the system does not boot.
If flashing does not work, then yes, the next step would be buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one.

Solution

L5132

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Well, I got it working yesterday. Turns out that when I was trying to flash it earlier, I forgot to rename the file. That's what happens when you think you're being very thorough at 2 AM, I guess. Well, thanks for getting me to try it again, lol.

cxscy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
You're lucky then, it didnt work for me and it seems I'm heading for a bios chip change....same errors as yours, tried everything and still keep on getting the "bios is updating" line all over again....the bios did flash but no go...

namr

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Hello
I have put together a build with the following configuration:
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
Asus Crosshair Formula Z
Sapphire 6870 hd flex-edition version
gigabyte thor 800watt psu
crosshair vengeance 8gb ram (1X8gb)

a week earlier i have bought the said contents but had Graphic card as DOA.
so it took a week for an replacement instead they gave me an ddr3 graphic card for the time being
the installation of the OS was successful. but i did not install any graphic driver, so i could get my replacement card and install its driver. when I obtained the card and tried to run the system there was no display
I checked all the connections, tried various combinations, ran only mobo with G.card
I am finally getting "q error 99 with no display", while checking the internet i came upon this page.
trying to flash install the bios as instructed 'with out turning on the system'. then for how much time do i have to wait for the installation to complete?

the ROG switch switches on but with or without the usb is attached. what gives to know that the flashing has started or it has completed?.
please inform me if there is any information that I am missing about.

namr

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

when you were flash installing, what signal confirmed that flash has initiated installing or completed installation?. I have kept it for more than 15mins the cmos and rog buttuon are switched on. No other reactions observed.

Status
Not open for further replies.