Multiple Questions (No POST/Graphics Card Question)

jordandoyle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware,

I recently purchased an Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3 and an i7 3770, and built the computer up (having both the longest power cord (24 I believe) and an EATX12V one (8 I believe). When I powered up the computer using the controls on the front of the case, all of the lights on the case and fans turned on and immediately switched off again, then when trying to turn it back on again it would do nothing. I turned the PSU off and on and then used the power button on the motherboard and it did the same, and wouldn't turn on once again. Reseting the PSU again fixed this and then once again, I pressed the power button all lights and fans turned on and immediately off. I removed the EATX12V cable and I turned the computer on, this time all the lights and fans stayed on but there was no beep, the CPU_LED on the motherboard was a solid red, there was no video output from the HDMI port.

I tried the EATX12V with only 4 of the 8 in as suggested in the manual but this did not work. I have also tried reseting the CMOS. I removed all of my memory modules apart from the furthest from the CPU, this didn't work either.

Another question: Should I get two Radeon 6970 2gb or another graphics card?

Things to note: there is currently no hard drive or graphics card, but this should still let me into the BIOS, right?

Hi,
Some thoughts: the CPU requires the 3202 BIOS version, so my guess is that a BIOS update is needed for the CPU to work. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PROGEN3/#CPUS
Then the on and then off issue might be related to a short issue. I suggest taking the board outside the case and testing it on its box.
Without the EATX 12V the CPU doesn't get power, so no boot.
The CPU has integrated graphics, so yes, it should work.

Now, about updating the BIOS, you need a CPU supported by the board's BIOS version or you can buy a BIOS chip and replace the board's one (it's on socket).

Hi, It's easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLEQoWRq41k
No need for de/soldering. The chip is on socket (next to the navy blue SATA ports).
You can buy a BIOS chip from ebay or, if in US from ASUS eStore.
Just to make sure, there's a barcode sticker on the board, The last 4 digits stand for the board's BIOS version.

jordandoyle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly I'm not the most experienced with a soldering iron, so I think I'm going to take it to my local computer shop to get updated.

jordandoyle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Unfortunatly, I don't have a spare CPU, I've always used AMD CPUs. I also cannot find the correct BIOS chip, with the correct version and for my specific MOBO, if anybody can link me (prefebly free shipping within the UK), I would appreciate it.

jordandoyle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Thank you very much for the link and helping me.

I will order the BIOS Chip tomorrow and report back when it is in place.

Everyone in this thread has been great, thanks guys.

jordandoyle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I have the new BIOS chip seated and (my own - the manufacturer wouldn't help me) stand-offs. Unfortunatly the on-off issue still occurs, I've tried this with both 4-pins and 8-pins. I'll try it on the box now

jordandoyle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I've just tried out of the box with a different PSU and the problem still occurs. Out of the box was completely barebones, the CPU fan and one stick of four ram (in the slot furthest away from the CPU) still no POST, but again without the EATX12V the fan turns on but the CPU light is red. I've also tried reseating the CPU. Any help guys?