Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU bottlenecking my gpu?

Last response: in CPUs
March 2, 2012 10:01:47 PM

Hello,
I have an amd athlon ii x 4 630 processor, 750 watt psu along with 10gb of ram and I'm wondering if its holding back my gtx 560 ti 1gb card, I just upgraded from a 460 for better performance in raids (swtor) but I'm finding that I still have to turn everything down on low/off settings.

More about : cpu bottlenecking gpu

a c 184 à CPUs
March 2, 2012 10:04:29 PM

Wow or mmorpg games are based on cpu's. The faster a cpu is the more fps you will have. Can you overclock?
March 2, 2012 10:06:49 PM

I'm not familiar with Overclocking a cpu (only OC'ed my gpu with a software device). Is it something that could be done easily? I'm not against it I suppose.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 10:15:09 PM

10gb of ram is an unusual amount what memory modules do you have?

last amd board i had was dual channel so would have expected to see 8gb or 16gb if 4 memory modules

not too hard to overclock that cpu--though its multiplier locked if its not a black edition

3.5ghz to 3.8ghz should be doable

though you should use a decent heatsink if heavily overclocking
March 2, 2012 10:18:58 PM

I bought a couple ram sticks awhile back, I know one of them is a 4gb stick. I'd prefer not to go so heavy into OCing that I'd need to buy a heatsink.
March 2, 2012 10:19:19 PM

Oh, and its not a black edition
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 10:24:16 PM

just wondering about the ram as my last amd board was dual channel so it may be that your board is running

single channel depending what modules you have in there--dont think amd have went triple channel--though

10gb would still be an unusual amount

this would slow it down if its in single channel
March 2, 2012 10:25:34 PM

What do you mean by single channel?
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 10:29:19 PM

if you have 1 module it runs single channel

2 modules dual channel

3 single channel

4 dual channel

dual channel is faster than single depending on what you are doing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel
March 2, 2012 10:32:46 PM

I have 4 modules in the cpu, so that would mean that it is a dual channel correct?
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 10:37:16 PM

if you download cpuz it will tell you if its running dual channel and if your modules are all the same speed etc

you must have something like 2 x 4gb and 2x 1gb

or 1 x 4gb and 3 x 2gb

just that normally people use the same size modules--like 2 x 4gb or 4 x 4gb or 3 x 4gb if its triple channel

probably doesnt matter if the modules are different sizes i suppose
March 2, 2012 10:44:08 PM

its dual channel, my 4gb module is running slightly faster than my 3 2gb modules
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 10:55:49 PM

how much faster?

usually all the modules get slowed down to the speed of the slowest module

getting a little sidetracked from your original issue--just that 10gb of ram is unusual so thought i would ask

think you will still have to overclock a it bit to see if it improves things--dont have to go too overboard with the

stock heatsink

maybe 3.4ghz or so depending on temperatures

a c 88 à CPUs
March 3, 2012 12:18:02 AM

if your using mixed ram speeds then your gonna have issues. the cpu's mmu will have to work to get the ram to run at the best average latencies it can manage and at the speed of the slowest stick. this often will cause 1 or more sticks of ram will break or worse you stress the mmu to the point it breaks and takes the cpu with it.
remove the none matched ram.

your cpu would generally be good enough for most games but wow is very cpu speed dependent and even the best cpu's struggle on stock with it. you will nee a healthy oc and the only way you will manage that is to have a stable system. the ram again is an issue. sort that out and then consider overclocking...

ram should be all running at the same speed and have the same latencies. in matched pairs only. anything else is likely to impair a stable oc
March 3, 2012 6:23:11 PM

The issues existed before I added my final ram stick in (the 4GB one). My computer does not struggle with wow, it struggles with Swtor (a different MMO). I can be in the imperial fleet and most of the time get anywhere between 40-60 fps depending on where I'm at but in a raid during the bosses my fps just skyrockets down to near single digits.

As far as the ram speeds, not sure if I'm reading this right but here it goes: Under the SPD tab in the 4th column reading JEDEC #6- My 4gb is running at 761 mhz. The rest of my ram sticks under the same column are running at 685 mhz.
March 3, 2012 6:45:44 PM

OC'd my cpu to 3.1 ghz just fine, if I go to 3.2ghz the computer fails to boot.
a c 184 à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:50:00 PM

Also monitor your temperatures!
a c 88 à CPUs
March 4, 2012 10:46:13 AM

cgibb0093 said:
The issues existed before I added my final ram stick in (the 4GB one). My computer does not struggle with wow, it struggles with Swtor (a different MMO). I can be in the imperial fleet and most of the time get anywhere between 40-60 fps depending on where I'm at but in a raid during the bosses my fps just skyrockets down to near single digits.

As far as the ram speeds, not sure if I'm reading this right but here it goes: Under the SPD tab in the 4th column reading JEDEC #6- My 4gb is running at 761 mhz. The rest of my ram sticks under the same column are running at 685 mhz.

what your seeing there in the spd tap is all the jdec frequencies the ram can handle thats not the speed the ram is running. for that you need the memory tab on cpu-z in there you see what mode its in and what speed and latencies the ram is running. thats all the ram timings the mmu is forcing the ram to run at..

you shold see all your ram running at the same jdec it will either run the ram at the slowest common jdec or run the ram a the slowest rams highest jdec forcing all other ram to that speed regardless of if its supported by that ram and thats where damage can occur
the memory tab shows the speed and latencies that all the ram is running at the spd tab shows what each stick i designed to run at.
March 6, 2012 1:54:18 AM

DRAM Frequency: 533.3mhz
March 6, 2012 1:54:52 AM

I think it is bottlenecking, I can see that my cpu usage does get to to around 100% during raid times, dminishing performance.
March 6, 2012 1:55:21 AM

I might end up upgrading to something from the phenom series, like the 975 black edition (good reviews for the most part)
March 6, 2012 3:52:52 AM

HEXiT said:
if your using mixed ram speeds then your gonna have issues. the cpu's mmu will have to work to get the ram to run at the best average latencies it can manage and at the speed of the slowest stick. this often will cause 1 or more sticks of ram will break or worse you stress the mmu to the point it breaks and takes the cpu with it.
remove the none matched ram.

Can you please enlighten me and be more specific on this?

Because my sister is using my old rig right now, and when I do a monthly maintenance on it I find 2 different type of module. It was a DDR2 gen, the one are an 667mhz and the other are 800mhz. She said her boyfriend gave the other ones, I dunno which since I forgot myself which was mine also lol

Both are 2GB, and on BIOS its already fixed to match up for the slowest RAM which is the 667mhz one. She forbid me to take it off as she already experienced a snappier response when it comes to multitasking rather than having a single module installed.

I don't really know how long this happens, she said it was like a year ago ever since. I knew it would broke off someday, either the motherboard, CPU, or RAM...who will die 1st...I cannot tell...my poor old CPU...that thing was my best friend during college...

Enough background story, here is my question: How long it usually last before it actually came to meltdown? I don't want push it to be specific time span, I just need some reasonable excuse to take one of them off of my old friend...

And even it does being set on BIOS for system to recognize them as the same, when they don't, does that still count? Or at least expand its lifetime even by little...please be yes :cry: 
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 1:04:31 PM

cgibb0093 said:

Your ram has to be matched pairs. If 3 sticks, it runs in single channel mode. 4 sticks that don't match, it runs in single channel mode. Pull out one 2 gig stick and pull out the oddball 4 gig stick. Make sure the remaining two 2gig sticks are in matching color slots. Try to run your benchmarks or play a game again.

If you are running in 2 mismatched sticks, it will always default to the slowest speed rated stick. It may, or may not run in dual channel mode if the sticks aren't matched sets. I'm running about 50/50 on attempts before I got a mismatched set that would work.
!