boxofbread

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hello,

I am very new to computers and bought a computer desktop i7 2600k sandy bridge about a month ago and I need opinions on what to upgrade in order to play games like battlefield 3 and able to play 5.1-7.1 speakers.

Specs:

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core Desktop Processor.
Motherboard: Biostar H61MU3 (B3 stepping) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Vidoe Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 (integrated)
Memory: High Speed 4GB DDR3 Gaming Memory
Hard Drive: 1TB Hard Drive
DVD Burner: 24x DVD SATA Dual-Layer Burner
Case: ATX Mid Tower Case with 500W PSU
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Look into these. Both cards will run BF3 on high settings or at least reccomended settings.
GTX 560 ti 1GB
Amd Radeon 6950 2GB
Make sure your Power supply can handle these Graphics cards. 500w is minimum to run either one. Both of these cards are big so keep in mind space in your tower.

boxofbread

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Thanks, I'm just willing to spend a medium amount for a graphics card maybe around 100$ i dont really know how much these cost and wow do i have to spend 250 for the graphics card?

you will need a new psu regardless if you are running a no name come with the case psu. if you want to play bf3 with alot of high settings then you will need to spend money on a power supply and a minimum of 200 on a gpu
what power supply do you have atm ?

i want to know what brand, model, etc.? if you don't know, chances are its crap <no offense> and you will need to replace it along with your GPU. a cheap power supply can harm your system or catch fire, and also will give you a headache with under performing gpu's. the questions is, what type of performance would you settle for, and what is the max amount you would put down on a new upgrade?

boxofbread

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
ok if im looking at it right its a atx p4 power supply

ac input:115,230V, 5/2.5A, 50/60Hz
Ky-550atx: 30a 18A 0.8A 30A 2.5A 550W

it depends on the style of card he gets; reference design will be more ideal for that case and the heat will exhaust out the rear of the case. budget please, and then we can get the best suggestion in your price range

A 2600K on an H61. Why, why I ask. May as well have gotten the cheaper 2600 or 2500 as the unlocked multiplier is useless on those boards. Anyway...

If you don't want to upgrade the PSU then open the system up, get all the information you can on the label, and research the model number on the internet. If it's a 500W unit that's really a 350W unit (it happens) then the best you can probably do is a 5670 but that may be pushing it. If it's decent, then a Radeon 5770 would be a good fit. If you want to put in a 6870, GTX460, or better video card then you need a good PSU and likely should replace the one you have

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

This isnt going to be ideal for him. The system will overheat especially with a GPU like the 460. That thing runs hot in general and is an old model here are two upgrade suggestions that will cost you about 275 but is tottaly worth it. Dont upgrade to a 520 watt when you have a 500. Upgrade to a 700 w here is a suggestion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
That PSU is 70$ AFTER mail in rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500210
That GPU is 200 after mail in rebate
This is for a decent build and the ability to upgrade it further later on. Be careful about upgrading the PSU and in general. Make sure parts are compatible.

are you kidding me?
why would he put a non reference card in a system that has very little airflow? and why is the corsair better than the less expensive antech i linked? the 500w he has is crap, and will most likely push out a little over 300w. thats why i suggested the 520, which is a quality made psu that can handle the card he can afford. the reason i recomended a reference style card is he doesnt have good case airflow and it will exhaust the hot air out of his case, and this will fit his budget alot better without having to do any other unnecessary changes. the 460 will not overheat his system. a non reference card with a case without intake, and a large exit will overheat his system. what you recommended will go over his 250.00 " stretch" max when he doesnt really want to spend over 150. Even the one i recommended is a stretch, but way more affordable/sensible