How to "Print" to a file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I use an XP application which creates a report which it shows on
screen.

I want to save the report to text file but it doesn't let me
cut-&-paste. All I can do is print the report.

Is there a way to use a dummy printer which will send the printed
output to a text file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes, try CutePDF www.cutepdf.com

"Svend Cr" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message
| I use an XP application which creates a report which it
shows on
| screen.
|
| I want to save the report to text file but it doesn't let
me
| cut-&-paste. All I can do is print the report.
|
| Is there a way to use a dummy printer which will send the
printed
| output to a text file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you click file and Save As, doesn't it copy to your My Documents folder ?

--
JerryM (ID)

Money isn't everything,
But it sure helps to pay the way.

"Svend Cr" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message news:954B68C56C4F6471AE@127.0.0.1...
>I use an XP application which creates a report which it shows on
> screen.
>
> I want to save the report to text file but it doesn't let me
> cut-&-paste. All I can do is print the report.
>
> Is there a way to use a dummy printer which will send the printed
> output to a text file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Use the generic manufacturer Text Only printer. Any printer driiver can print to file but this spits text out only.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Svend Cr" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message news:954B68C56C4F6471AE@127.0.0.1...
> I use an XP application which creates a report which it shows on
> screen.
>
> I want to save the report to text file but it doesn't let me
> cut-&-paste. All I can do is print the report.
>
> Is there a way to use a dummy printer which will send the printed
> output to a text file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I installed the driver you mentioned but I can't see how to get it
to output to a file.

Can you advise, please.

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote:

> Use the generic manufacturer Text Only printer. Any printer
> driver can print to file but this spits text out only.

> "Svend Cr" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I use an XP application which creates a report which it shows
>> on screen.
>>
>> I want to save the report to text file but it doesn't let me
>> cut-&-paste. All I can do is print the report.
>>
>> Is there a way to use a dummy printer which will send the
>> printed output to a text file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you really can't save the report or copy it to the clipboard, the program
must purposely be trying to keep you from doing anything but print it.

You could try creating a new printer that will print to a file as text only:

Go to your printers, and select Add Printer
Create a local printer - for the port, select FILE:
For the Manufacter/Model select Generic/Text Only
Keep existing driver if it asks
Choose a new name if you wish
Probably select that you do not want this printer as default printer
Probably not much use in sharing this printer, either
Print a test page if you wish - you will then see how it asks you for the
filename to print to

In article <uXgPrxuhEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Squire"
<jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote:
|If you click file and Save As, doesn't it copy to your My Documents =
|folder ?

|--=20
|JerryM (ID)
|
|Money isn't everything,=20
|But it sure helps to pay the way.

|"Svend Cr" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message =
|>I use an XP application which creates a report which it shows on=20
|> screen.
|>=20
|> I want to save the report to text file but it doesn't let me=20
|> cut-&-paste. All I can do is print the report.
|>=20
|> Is there a way to use a dummy printer which will send the printed=20
|> output to a text file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You have to tick the box on the printer's Ports property sheet.