Stoobz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hello,
Computer no longer starts. All my fans work, green light on MoBo works, red HDD light comes on for 2-4 secs, power on light comes on. I get 5 and 12 volts on various plugs. I get no POST beeps (unless no memory installed) and only a black screen with no cursor or anything. Tried one stick, two sticks and no memory. Removed/replaced CMOS battery to no avail.
I'm buffaloed because I've been pretty good at fixing computers over the years.

Thanks!

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
If MB keyboard "Num" Lock Light on .... I will bet is the power supply.....

Looks like is not totally die ... just under voltage.... unless you have more tools to test...before jump to conclude is the MB ...

Stoobz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry for the delay but I haven't been able to get back to the thread.

Update: After using several guides here at Tom's, found out my trusty video card went kaput. Got a new one in addition to additional memory and everything worked GREAT Thursday night. Friday comes along and now computer is back to black screen.

Latest POST beeps are the usual 1 short followed by a delay then 2 short. According to my research, this indicates a memory parity error (or something like that). Anyhow, went back to the one stick at a time trick to no avail. I even put the old original memory back in, so that's 6 different sticks, and it makes the same beeps.

I tried researching how to test my mobo but can't find a good enough answer I'm willing to try. Checked my power supply and all the voltages appear to be what they should.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't *really* want to buy another computer. I love my dead one when it's working, lol.

Thanks in advance!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There are so many components on a modern motherboard, it's almost impossible to "test" it one's self. Bread board it and see if it will allow you to boot into BIOS. If not, I'd say the board failed or is failing. That may have been what took out the graphics card.

However... If you have access to another PSU, try it first. The voltages may show normal, but under load the PSU may be failing. I'm guessing the board, though...

Stoobz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Thanks so much, that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Even though I ended up buying a new computer, I still want to fix this one (much to my wife's chagrin). It may take a few days to find a compatible power supply but I'll update this thread if I ever figure it out for sure.

Stoobz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
As of now, I think I am dealing with two separate problems (at least). I believe my major trouble is the use of Advanced System Care PRO version 5. It appears to have gotten rid of something in my registry that I need to have the video work right. I've used the free version for years with no issues (go figure).

I am to the point that the computer starts (but takes a long while) and it will only show up on the monitor if I use the VGA output connector to the VGA input on the monitor *or* DVI with VGA adaptor to the DVI input on the monitor. This has been established using two different GPUs.

I have used a couple monitors and several cables in my troubleshooting. I have none of these issues on my new computer, so that eliminates my cables and monitor as issues, imo.

Anyhow, I "sorta" have my old computer back so I can play World of Tanks but it doesn't load like it used to. If I find out anything more definitive, I'll add to this thread.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Before delving any further into troubleshooting, run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. It will allow you to rid the system of resource wasting crap and registry errors. Re-boot and defrag. See if that helps any.
If not.. breadboard the system with just CPU/HSF, memory, video card (if no integrated), monitor, and PSU connected. See if you can boot to BIOS using the correct video connections.

What motherboard, CPU, video card do you have?

Stoobz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
ASUS P5QL Pro mobo
Intel E8500
EVGA 550 GTX Ti (2 DVI outs) or Zotac 8400 GS (1 DVI, 1 VGA out)
4x2 GB G.Skill memory

I haven't quite breadboarded it yet but I did use the guide to isolate components, all of which seem to operate satisfactorily "at this time", lol.

The machine boots into Vista but I can't see anything unless I use either the VGA port on the lower end card or the VGA adapter for the DVI port on either card. Boots into a lower resolution than it used to however. (I've read similar issues on the NVidia forums)

Will mess around with it some more tomorrow - getting late!

Thanks for the reply and I love CCleaner, been using it for years as well ;)