Upgrading for Swtor

wcraycroft

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hi,

My build is a couple years old and I'm looking to upgrade it for Swtor. During beta graphics and FPS held up fairly well, however I noticed my loading times for cutscenes were much slower than my roommate's newer build.

mobo: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA (no SLI)
Intel 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
EVGA GTX 260
G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB)
Corsair 620W PSU
500GB 7200 RPM HDD

running 64-bit Windows 7

My main questions are:
- what would I benefit most from upgrading?
- if loading times are my main concern, how much would I benefit from adding an SSD?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
They have an SSD benchmark from playing Rift with a SSD vs HDD and it does show a good increase in load times and start up time. I'd imagine SWTOR would do the same. I was in your shoes about 6months ago when I went to my build in my sig. MMORPGs require a lot of cpu support and it looks like you cpu is the e8400 which is what I had :p Even overclocked it still made online gaming difficult.

I initially got my SSD for christmas thinking it would help and it did make things feel faster but as far as gameplay it does nothing. So, I ended up just building a new pc when sandy bridge came out when they fixed the SATA issue.

TL;DR: You'd benefit the most by upgrading the system but if you can't afford it the SSD will at least help...

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
They have an SSD benchmark from playing Rift with a SSD vs HDD and it does show a good increase in load times and start up time. I'd imagine SWTOR would do the same. I was in your shoes about 6months ago when I went to my build in my sig. MMORPGs require a lot of cpu support and it looks like you cpu is the e8400 which is what I had :p Even overclocked it still made online gaming difficult.

I initially got my SSD for christmas thinking it would help and it did make things feel faster but as far as gameplay it does nothing. So, I ended up just building a new pc when sandy bridge came out when they fixed the SATA issue.

TL;DR: You'd benefit the most by upgrading the system but if you can't afford it the SSD will at least help you on the load times but you'll still suffer in gameplay.

Solution