Will a cpu upgrade help performance much for me

bburich

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I would like more performance out of my computer.

I do a lot of video editing and video converting.

I had 2x 1gb crucial ram before but one of sticks went, so I replaced it
2x 2 gb crucial ram.

It has improved performance, but I wondering what a new cpu could do for me.

I don't have the current money to buy a whole new motherboard, ram, power supply, and new cpu.

Any suggestions?

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ (4.9 rating)
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (7.0 rating)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (6.7 rating)
Gaming graphics 2302 MB Total available graphics memory (6.7 rating)
Primary hard disk 18GB Free (74GB Total) (5.3 rating)
Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows experience rating of 4.9.

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-MA78LM-S2H
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 307 GB
Disk partition (C: ) 18 GB Free (74 GB Total)
Disk partition (D: ) 36 GB Free (233 GB Total)
Media drive (E: ) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Total available graphics memory 2302 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1790 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.9573
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
Secondary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Adapter NETGEAR WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter

Solution
^and he will have wasted $215, because as recent benchmarks have all clearly shown, there is no price point at which an AMD beats an Intel CPU; sad but true, and this coming from someone who has built mostly AMD systems (just one Intel) over the last few years. Eighty dollars seems a small price to pay for the improvement a X3 455 will offer, but spending any more than that it makes more sense to wait. Don't forget, a motherboard replacement will almost always require a new Windows license as well (add $100, although a student discount may be available).
You can overclock a BD chip quite well, possibly enough to equal a lesser Intel i3, but it will then be using a LOT more power.

Highspeed123

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
You have an ageing processor in the 3600+ but a motherboard that will support a CPU with more cores and that will be ideal for video editing and converting. Depends what software you use though. People can help you better if you provide a rough idea of how much you have to spend.

bburich

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I would prefer to spend between $100-$200.
I was thinking AMD Phenom II X4 975, Black Edition for $198.
Would this be a waste with my ddr2 board.
Would i be better off to just wait a bit and build a new pc with a ddr3 board.
I am happy with my video card.
I will have a job in May, but I wanted to save my summer job money for college.
If I build a new pc, I would probably spend $600-$1000, but I dont have that now.

bburich

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

What can I get if I overclock my current cpu also

gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
for $300 you can get a 2500k, z68 atx board and 8 gigs of ram at microcenter, im also certain you can find the 2500 or 2500k for under 200 online, so don't buy the 975, the 2500k will blow it away.

you can put any processor on it you like.... providing the BIOS supports it. The 3600 dual core is a dog. You don't need the highest price processor to replace it. if I were going to spend $160 which the 970 costs, I would get the 6core for the same price. Performance, don't expect miracles because of the dated chips..... but it will be quite noticeable over what you have now.
I still game on DDR2 ram. No problems yet. and the higher in resolution you go the GPU will mean more than the CPU most of the time. Just food for thought.

jdwii

Splendid
since he said 200$ i would say get a 980 and you will be happy, If not and i recommend this any day get a 4110 fx and a board and some ram for about 250$ or just get a 2500K but it will cost you more, I really recommend getting a new board! And new ram!

^and he will have wasted $215, because as recent benchmarks have all clearly shown, there is no price point at which an AMD beats an Intel CPU; sad but true, and this coming from someone who has built mostly AMD systems (just one Intel) over the last few years. Eighty dollars seems a small price to pay for the improvement a X3 455 will offer, but spending any more than that it makes more sense to wait. Don't forget, a motherboard replacement will almost always require a new Windows license as well (add $100, although a student discount may be available).
You can overclock a BD chip quite well, possibly enough to equal a lesser Intel i3, but it will then be using a LOT more power.

Solution

jdwii

Splendid

I agree with the windows 7 license but come on people act like amd cpu's can do anything the 4 core BD will be slower for gaming less then 15% on average while probably being faster for anything multi-threaded! His GPU will in no way push the 4 core BD or even a tri-core athlon!