I'm going to upgrade my RAM, which should I buy?

fredefl

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi guys!

I currently simply can't figure out what RAM to buy. My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0)) has got six memory slots, and can support a total of 24 GB RAM. It also supports Triple Channel and I've got an i7 so I'm using that. I'm currently using three of the slots which are filled with: 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1333 Mhz. The part numbers of the RAM are OCZ3P1333LV2G. Here are the specs:
Model: OCZ3P1333LV2G
1333MHz DDR3
CL 7-7-7 (CAS-TRCD-TRP)
Unbuffered
Platinum Layered Z3 XTC Heatspreader
1.65 Volts
240 Pin DIMM
Found at: http://www.directron.com/ocz3p1333lv2g.html

And here is a picture of the RAM in Speccy: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66884863/Ram.PNG

I really can't navigate in this crazy RAM mess, so can you guys help me out?
I'm looking for another set of 3 x 2GB RAM to raise my systems RAM to 12 GB.

Thanks in advance!

First off, it is always highly suggested to use a matched kit for RAM, even RAM that is the same model number, but purchased at separate times is not guaranteed to work correctly.

DDR3 RAM at this time is extremely cheap, and for best results I would suggest just picking up a 12GB kit, instead of trying to mix them together.

If you wanted to get a 12GB kit, I would suggest something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104168

fredefl

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I've looked everywhere inside of EU, but I still haven't found one that matches perfectly. However, your recommendation sound resonable. Your recommendation runs 1600 Mhz, does my motherboard support and take advantage of it? I'll have a look at it, thanks!

fredefl

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I found that a 3 x 4 GB is cheaper where I live. Will any permanent damage be done if I try to mount both my old and the new RAM at the same time?

Your MB doesn't support 1600MHz natively, but you can always oc it.

It is really hard to find 1333MHz 1.65v kits nowadays :(

There *shouldn't* be any damage at all, and it should run perfectly fine. However I can't guarantee that.

If you were looking at the 3x4GB kit, why not just replace the 3x2GB with the other DIMMS, and get your 12GB? I honestly can't really think of any situations that would use more than 12GB.

fredefl

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Does that mean that I have to fiddle with the motherboard in order for it to work with the 1600 Mhz ones, or do they just scale down and use that 1333 Mhz that my motherboard has?

This the difference between the two very big?

The only reason why I would see more than 12 GB becoming useful is loading Arma II into the RAM when playing DayZ.

Thanks!

fredefl

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

But will the 1600 Mhz even work in my system as I wrote in my last post?

You will have to tinker with your BIOS settings to get it to run at 1600MHz, which isn't really too difficult at all (especially since your MB should support XMP profiling, you should just be able to choose which one you want and it will set it) But until that point, it will automatically run it at 1333MHz.

The difference between 1333 and 1600 is <5% performance, and you probably would notice no difference at all between them during normal use.

fredefl

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Cool!
What about timings?
My current one runs at CL7 and the ones you recommended runs at CL9.
I heard that lower is better, but how much does it impact performance?