Sign in with
Your question

P5Q SE/R, SATA 512gb SSD will not boot

Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2013 8:29:48 PM

Hi Gurus
I have a SSD drive that was setup on my laptop with Win7/64 and boots perfectly on that pc plus as the boot drive on a desktop pc using Gigabit MB. I really want to have it as the boot drive on an ASUS P5Q S E/R MB. This pc will not boot any SATA drive and relies on an IDE drive to boot. I have flashed the BIOS with the latest version and downloaded the Marvel 64 bit drivers, installed and rebooted but still no joy using the SSD to boot. Windows 7 attempts to starts, reboots and displays a message asking to attempt to fix the error. Windows loads a bunch of files but finishes saying the pc is not compatible. Normal configuration for this pc was an IDE to boot plus two 512gb SATA drives and SATA CD drive.
Any ideas, anyone? Is this MB fully compatible with SATA and 64 bit software?
Thanks
Nev
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 487 V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 2:05:19 AM

Is the SSD recognized in BIOS? Is it set as the boot drive? Are you trying to boot to the old O/S still on the drive from the laptop? You will need to install windows on the drive anew.
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:52:40 AM

The SSD is recognised in Bios and it is set as the boot drive. THis drive works perfeclty in another pc and will boot correctly but not in this pc. I've never had to reinstall windows on moving a boot drive from one pc to another in the past. In another pc in our office I have multi boot with XP. Win7 and Win8. If I drop the SSD into that pc it works correctly as the boot drive after setting it so in the BIOS.
Prior to trying this SSD, this ASUS based pc has never been able to boot from a SATA drive, only IDE.
Thanks for the response.
Nev
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 487 V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 4:40:54 PM

You may have gotten lucky in the past with very similar PCs. But when the O/S is installed, it loads drivers for the devices, chip sets, and other components it recognizes on that particular motherboard. Unless the new PC is almost identical to the old one, Windows will fail when it tries to boot in the new unfamiliar environment. Can you back up the important files you need by putting the drive in the orig PC, and then re-install Windows after putting the drive in the new PC?

If the drive is recognized in BIOS, and it is available in BIOS to be set as the boot drive, then there is no reason I can think of that it wouldn't TRY to boot using that drive. (other than the explanation I gave above)
m
l
March 29, 2013 7:57:08 AM

Hi there, what is your bios ver?

amsnet said:
The SSD is recognised in Bios and it is set as the boot drive. THis drive works perfeclty in another pc and will boot correctly but not in this pc. I've never had to reinstall windows on moving a boot drive from one pc to another in the past. In another pc in our office I have multi boot with XP. Win7 and Win8. If I drop the SSD into that pc it works correctly as the boot drive after setting it so in the BIOS.
Prior to trying this SSD, this ASUS based pc has never been able to boot from a SATA drive, only IDE.
Thanks for the response.
Nev

m
l

amsnet said:
Thanks for the response.
Nev

m
l

amsnet said:
Thanks for the response.
Nev

m
l
!