Which CPU is better?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cache
  • Processors
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2012 3:55:27 AM

AMD HDT35TWFGRBOX Phenom II X6 1035T Processor - Six Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 2.60GHz (3.10GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3, 95W, Fan, Retail
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
1350&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=iFudSkud_Rc-.2OWpVInxkRQUkBHH1fDQw

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Which is better and why? One is 3.6 GHz and 4 cores and other is 2.60GHz but with 6...
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm still learning

More about : cpu

March 3, 2012 4:05:22 AM

bestnameever said:
AMD HDT35TWFGRBOX Phenom II X6 1035T Processor - Six Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 2.60GHz (3.10GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3, 95W, Fan, Retail
1350&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=iFudSkud_Rc-.2OWpVInxkRQUkBHH1fDQw

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

Which is better and why? One is 3.6 GHz and 4 cores and other is 2.60GHz but with 6...

Given the same clock rate and a threaded app, the old x6 will murder the fx x4. The 1035t are bottom barrel when it comes to binning, so you might be able o get it higher than 3.5ghz, if that. The FX x4 will easily do 4gnz and most likely hit 4.2 or higher, and its unlocked, so easier OC. The x4 will also run cooler, so you can get buy with a lesser cooler. The x4 is also cheaper.

So unless you will running a lot of threaded apps, I would go with the FX-4100. Its a cheap quad core that should OC well, run cool, and run just about any non professional program out there very well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 4:06:58 AM

If you can push for a X6 1090T or 1100T you won't be disappointed, avoid the FX at all cost.
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2012 4:33:48 AM

Not a good blanket statement. Core for core the FX cpus are not worse start core cpus in most apps, better in some, worse in others, but close all around.

FX chips got their bad rep because they failed to compete with the new intel cpus. Plus AMD has pulled out the old six cores from the market, so its not like they are much of an option anymore :p 
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:51:13 AM

vilenjan said:
Given the same clock rate and a threaded app, the old x6 will murder the fx x4. The 1035t are bottom barrel when it comes to binning, so you might be able o get it higher than 3.5ghz, if that. The FX x4 will easily do 4gnz and most likely hit 4.2 or higher, and its unlocked, so easier OC. The x4 will also run cooler, so you can get buy with a lesser cooler. The x4 is also cheaper.

So unless you will running a lot of threaded apps, I would go with the FX-4100. Its a cheap quad core that should OC well, run cool, and run just about any non professional program out there very well.

Thanks I think I will go with the FX but if you have any other recommendations that is around the same price, give or take, would be appreciated.

I just need it for gaming and am on a relativity low budget.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 5:19:10 AM

bestnameever said:

see if you can pick yourself up a cheap 2nd hand phenom 2 x4/x6 black edition if you cant get one new (im sure some sucker out there replaced one for a crappy fx and it will be on ebay) they are quite often better in games, as games aren't always threaded as well as a lot of serious programs (if you haven't got your mobo yet go intel though, much better chips even $ for $ these days new with games especially if your planning on running a decent video card. p.s im not an amd basher i run only amd video cards i have 3 amd systems in my house they serve there purpose but my personal rig only intel these days
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 5:26:25 AM

For gaming stick to Phenom II X4, or the FX-4100 (Phenom II preferred), or go for an Intel i3-2100.
m
l
March 3, 2012 5:58:23 AM

jasont78 said:
see if you can pick yourself up a cheap 2nd hand phenom 2 x4/x6 black edition if you cant get one new (im sure some sucker out there replaced one for a crappy fx and it will be on ebay) they are quite often better in games, as games aren't always threaded as well as a lot of serious programs (if you haven't got your mobo yet go intel though, much better chips even $ for $ these days new with games especially if your planning on running a decent video card. p.s im not an amd basher i run only amd video cards i have 3 amd systems in my house they serve there purpose but my personal rig only intel these days

Alright thanks I'll try to put together an intel build and see if I save some money if not I'll make sure to get you recommended CPU's
( I haven't bought anything just cause I've never built a computer and know very little about hardware so I've been doing my research. )
I am gonna buy my parts in around two weeks.

Thanks you everyone for your input you have been a great help!
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 3, 2012 6:23:47 AM

Go with an i3-2100, if this is your first computer. What is your entire budget?
m
l
March 3, 2012 7:48:42 AM

amuffin said:
Go with an i3-2100, if this is your first computer. What is your entire budget?

not much about $650 and I would prefer 4 cores for a processor as there are a few programs that I have that would run better on 4 cores rather than 2 cores.

Edit: I'll consider the i3-2100 though
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:53:28 AM

What programs to be exact? The problem is that amd has a dead socket, which has not much of an upgrade path :/ 
m
l
March 3, 2012 8:24:12 AM

Actually I might not need 4 cores as long as 2 cores can run the UDK ( Unreal Development Kit and Visual Studios 2010, and one or two programs in the background fine then I can just use my current computer for the rest. Would save me some money.

( Would two cores be able to run those programs at the same time? I just started taking a class in programming and Video Game Design so I don't know how CPU intensive they both are. )
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 3, 2012 9:12:20 AM

It should be able to run, If i remember correctly udk uses more of the graphics card in order to do computations/view stuff. Here is my 600 dollar gaming build if you are interested, it incorporates the i3-2100. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333749-31-muffin-doll... and you can upgrade to ivy!
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:26:01 PM

The thing is that i3-2100 cant OC much at all, while qaud core FX should easily soar past 4k, and its super easy to with its unlocked multi. Also you can pick 990FX board for a lot less tha comparable Intel boards in terms of PCI-e lanes, and still have a full upgrade path to the piledriver when you are ready.

Everyone is hugging Intel's balls atm, but I think in the $80-$150 range AMD is still the better value for your $$.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 2:35:05 PM

What do you presently have? Specs?
We could maybe work with that for a cheap fix until the new stuff comes out later this year.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 3, 2012 6:02:26 PM

vilenjan said:
The thing is that i3-2100 cant OC much at all, while qaud core FX should easily soar past 4k, and its super easy to with its unlocked multi. Also you can pick 990FX board for a lot less tha comparable Intel boards in terms of PCI-e lanes, and still have a full upgrade path to the piledriver when you are ready.

Everyone is hugging Intel's balls atm, but I think in the $80-$150 range AMD is still the better value for your $$.

The problem is with FX is you HAVE to overclock to surpass even intels i3-2100 dual core! But by overclocking you reduce your processors lifetime! Most people don't want to have wasted money on a processor or a system and have it die out within 2 years. Though i overclock because microcenter is awesome and has a replacement plan :) 
m
l
March 3, 2012 6:19:44 PM

I will go with neither. I suggest the 960T. Its a black edition and unlockable to 6 cores. I also suggest a Cooler Master hyper 212+

With these 2 products you can get a great OC. And if by change it doesn't unlock for you as a quad the 960T does OC a bit higher on average.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-261868_29_650.ht...

You may be just as well off with an overclocked athlon x4 631, aka A8 cpu only version, as look how well the A8-3870K does against the fx4100.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 9:52:39 PM

vilenjan said:

an fx needs to be overclocked to keep up with entry level intel = FAIL!! until there are operating systems and programs written specifically for these hybrid chips they are going to continue to fail under normal operating conditions. they arent fully as many cores as they quote (eg fx 8xxx 8 cores) but the system they use is fundamentally better than hyper threading only the software doesnt know how to shedule for the cores if you can save an extra $100 over the 2100 you can get a 2500k which will wipe its arse in the face of any fx chip under 95% real world usage senarios and thats without overclocking it. amd may have the overclocking record of 8ghz+ but an intel system can still beat its results at 5ghz
m
l
!