Front Air Intake Fans Not Working

Locard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Hello,
So, this is my first ever computer build and I'm finding that neither of my 2 fans for air intake in the front of the case are working. They don't even light up to show there's power running through them. However, the cables run through to the front panel which works. I've been thinking that maybe I should try buying a fan-to-psu adapter, but I'm not sure how to go about this. I've looked online, but still finding myself scratching my head as to what it is I need exactly; all I know about the front fans are that they're 3-pin 120mm fans.

here are some of my specs if that helps:
case: corsair carbide 400r
mobo: intel dz68bc
cpu: intel i5-2500k sandy bridge
ram: corsair vengeance (8GB)
gpu: evga gtx 560ti (not hooked up yet, mobo wouldn't boot so i figured i needed to update the drivers first)

Locard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
where would i plug in the molex? the only molex connections left to hook up is a male from the front panel, the female's hooked up to the mobo. the front panel wires btw, include a molex that's male on one side and female on the other. i was thinking a 3-pin-to-psu would work

The thing I linked is a 3pin to psu adaptor with passthrough molex connectors
those molex from the Fp are for powering the fans,
plug the Psu into one of them, ignore the other for now but that is a passthrough connector so you could then put a drive from that.
you don't need an adaptor though
and how is the female molex plugged into the mobo? seems wrong to me, unplug it

*Edit, section four here may help you a little too,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting
Moto

Locard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Well the front panel lines lead to this double molex connector where one side of it is male, the other's female. the female connects to a male molex which connects to the mobo. it was the only way to connect the front panel to the mobo.

You don't need to connect power to the front panel, **Edit, you don't need to connect power from Fp to the mobo, only the relevant usb/switch connectors
the pwrswitch and reset switch don't require it,
usb ports have their own supplied through their cable, and audio doesn't require it,
and as mentioned, its a passthrough so one side to psu (then your fans will work) and you can power a dvd or hard drive off the other end
Moto

Locard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
oh sorry, i should clarify. the front panel wires include that male/female molex. a male molex, where the other side has sockets to fit into the mobo, fits into the female front panel molex wire. and hopefully that didn't just confuse the matter more

Locard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
ok so, i took your suggestion and hooked the fp straight to the power supply and it all works. i have another issue however. whenever i turn the computer on, my screen doesn't show anything until i turn it off then back on

Run through the troubleshooter, section three on the link I poste earlier,
All connections to gfx card etc good?
Correct output from card?
Gfx card selected as primary in bios etc,
Hard drive as boot, all those sorts of thing can cause issues
I take it your fans and leds are functioning correctly yes?
Moto

Locard

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
yea, i did a test run before putting everything together and the bios wouldn't post with the gpu in. took it out and completed the build without it, leaving it for last

TRENDING THREADS