Sign in with
Your question

Switching old router to new router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 27, 2011 6:12:12 AM

Hello,
I plan on replacing my linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router with a new linksys WRT120N wireless router. Should I completely remove and unplug the old router before inserting the startup CD and beginning the installation process for the new router?
March 27, 2011 2:59:35 PM

Yes, unplug old router and plug in new router. Then run the setup/startup CD. If you are using wireless and want to take advantage of N speed, you need to replace all the wireless card on your computers to N cards as well.

And don't forget to setup encryptions. Personally I don't broadcast SSID, use MAC filtering, and WPA2 for wireless security.
m
l
March 27, 2011 6:59:56 PM

electrontau said:
Yes, unplug old router and plug in new router. Then run the setup/startup CD. If you are using wireless and want to take advantage of N speed, you need to replace all the wireless card on your computers to N cards as well.

And don't forget to setup encryptions. Personally I don't broadcast SSID, use MAC filtering, and WPA2 for wireless security.

Thanks for your reply. The new router claims that it's compatible with Windows 7, which is what I have. Shouldn't my wireless card already work with N speed? I have a Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN mini-card. If not, how do I go about replacing the wireless card? Is that something I buy and install? Or something I download?
m
l
March 28, 2011 2:21:20 AM

A 1397 is only b/g
A1510 would be b/g/n
Depends on the laptop model my 1705 it is just a mini card that can be removed and replaced.You should go to dell and see which b/g/n would be compatable with your model.
It could be listed as an update or replacement part.
Just have to find a mini card thats compatable to move up to N.
I run mine at home on the 1397 I have now and really dont see many issues I dont stream a lot of stuff but netflix runs fine on it.
m
l
Related resources
!