Closed Solved

Need advice on new htpc with old computer

Hey all, these are the parts i have to build a htpc:

cpu: Q6600

gpu: 2x GTS 250 512mb

ram: 8gb ddr2

psu: dell 750w

mobo: nforce 680i Sli custom btx

I was considering this intel mobo: (on a phone right now)
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RH0AF6?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

It says it has onboard video so I was curious whether that would be enough to watch HD/BR. I dont really plan to play games on this htpc, so I'm wondering whether these video cards are needed at all. My video cards do not have a hdmi slot, only two dvi and what looks like a s-video slot or something. I was hoping to get audio and video through hdmi.

I haven't really decided on a case either, since I was going to base my decision on whether i had to squeeze in the video cards or not. I was however leaning towards the silverstone or thermaltake cases, since those seem to have consistently good reviews. Any help is appreciated!
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice htpc computer
  1. Best answer
    Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

    Looking to convert that machine into an HTPC? No problem.

    Well first of all you'll need a new video card to transmit HD audio over HDMI. Try a 5570 like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131342 should be able to stream HD lossless over HDMI.

    Second, look at MicroATX or Mini ITX cases and motherboards. uATX is less common, and you'll probably pay more for it when it comes to cases.
    Could you provide more info on the PSU? I think it'll be alright but cable clutter might be an issue in a small case. You may want to invest in a low wattage modular PSU.
    Silverstone does indeed make excellent cases.

    Hope that helps!
  2. striker410 said:
    Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

    Looking to convert that machine into an HTPC? No problem.

    Well first of all you'll need a new video card to transmit HD audio over HDMI. Try a 5570 like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131342 should be able to stream HD lossless over HDMI.

    Second, look at MicroATX or Mini ITX cases and motherboards. uATX is less common, and you'll probably pay more for it when it comes to cases.
    Could you provide more info on the PSU? I think it'll be alright but cable clutter might be an issue in a small case. You may want to invest in a low wattage modular PSU.
    Silverstone does indeed make excellent cases.

    Hope that helps!


    Hey thanks for replying! I see I made multiple threads by accident, mods please delete the other threads. When I was trying to post with my phone it said the thread wasn't created but I see now that it was. Sorry!

    I was hoping to use the GTS 250's or just the mobo as the video output but I guess that is not possible with the mobo I linked? I wasn't really planning on reusing the PSU since it's a Dell branded one, I figured I would go with a better quality one. Thanks for your help! :bounce:
  3. I'm not positive but I don't think you can run HD audio over HDMI unless it supports HDMI 1.4a, which I can only assume that motherboard doesn't. There's also special codecs for Blu-ray HD lossless audio which I am CERTAIN it doesn't support.

    The Dell might be salvagable! OEM PSU's are usually pretty good at low loads since thet can't have them exploding all over the place. I mean, can you imagine the lawsuits that would follow? We'll see.

    Lastly, do you have any hard drives to salvage? HDD prices are sky (rim) high right now, so hopefully you can use an old HDD.
  4. striker410 said:
    I'm not positive but I don't think you can run HD audio over HDMI unless it supports HDMI 1.4a, which I can only assume that motherboard doesn't. There's also special codecs for Blu-ray HD lossless audio which I am CERTAIN it doesn't support.

    The Dell might be salvagable! OEM PSU's are usually pretty good at low loads since thet can't have them exploding all over the place. I mean, can you imagine the lawsuits that would follow? We'll see.

    Lastly, do you have any hard drives to salvage? HDD prices are sky (rim) high right now, so hopefully you can use an old HDD.


    Hmm I see, I guess I may buy that intel mobo, although I couldn't seem to find it on Newegg. Do you have any to recommend? There aren't many choices but I figured I would choose familiar names like Asus or Gigabyte.

    I thought the PSU might be too big for the htpc case so I was gonna get a smaller one, the dell I have now is a 750w.

    I was gonna carry over a raptor from my old drive and possibly pick up some 1-2TB HD'S, but yes I have seen the prices right now and it seems $80 for even a 1TB is decent. I got my first Intel SSD for my new rig so I probably won't be getting another one for this htpc since it was supposed to be a cheap one with reused parts.
  5. I think this is the best MicroATX board for cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130305 It's got 7:1 audio for surround, even though you plan on using HDMI it's nice to have the option. You are correct, there aren't many LGA 775 compact boards.
  6. Yea that's very similar to the board I was looking at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130242

    I need DDR2 though in order to use the 8gb I already have. I've also chosen to go with that video card you linked earlier. I've never heard of that company before but the reviews are good enough for me.

    I was also considering this case, but I'm worried it might be too big/small:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163166&Tpk=silverstone%20gd05

    Also for the PSU, I was wondering if 500w would be ideal for this build (Q6600 and the HD 5570):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061

    I also kind of figured that getting the same companies PSU would be best so it has a better chance of fitting well. Thanks for your responses! :D

    Oh yea almost forgot. Do you have any cpu coolers that you recommend? I was looking at the Corsair H80 since it's on sale right now, but I was wondering if there were other alternatives that weren't so pricey.
  7. Sexy case. You don't have to go with that PSU, there are cheaper options. Your call.
    don't get an H80! It's not gonna fit and it's quite overkill. Try looking at a Scythe Shuriken. Good compact cooler.
  8. striker410 said:
    Sexy case. You don't have to go with that PSU, there are cheaper options. Your call.
    don't get an H80! It's not gonna fit and it's quite overkill. Try looking at a Scythe Shuriken. Good compact cooler.


    Yea I was mainly wondering how much wattage I typically would need. I read somewhere else on these forums that if I needed 200w I should typically aim for 400w, but I wasn't even really sure how many watts this system would use when watching HD/BR videos. Maybe I should go down to 400w since I don't plan to play any games on this?

    whoops almost forgot again, found the cpu cooler you were talking about (I think):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097

    I was mainly worried about the space issues when using this kind of cpu cooler, but I guess it will fit fine in that case?
  9. you probably won't top 200-250w. Tough to say since you have a Q6600 :lol: 400w would definitely be fine.

    It'll fit. It's about the same size as the standard Intel cooler (height wise) so it should fit.
  10. striker410 said:
    you probably won't top 200-250w. Tough to say since you have a Q6600 :lol: 400w would definitely be fine.

    It'll fit. It's about the same size as the standard Intel cooler (height wise) so it should fit.


    Can't seem to find a 300w psu by itself from Silverstone so I'm just gonna go with the 400w. Looks like this is gonna be my final build:

    cpu: Q6600

    cpu cooler: Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097

    gpu: PowerColor AX5570 1GBD3-H Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131342

    mobo: MSI G41M4-F LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130242

    case: SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case GD05B (Black)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WTDGQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    psu: SilverStone Strider 400W, 80 PLUS, Active PFC Power Supply ST40F-ES (Black)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034XRDUK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    *forgot total: $290.64 ($280.64 AR)

    thanks for all your help!
  11. Best answer selected by bizzy.
  12. Looks pretty cool! Good luck and have fun.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product