Solved

SLI a directx 11 card and directx 10 card

I'm in the neighborhood of getting a GTX580 card to replace my GTS 250. I was curious, can I SLI with my GTS 250, and still play direct x11 games with it. Will it contribute any help at all, being a direct x10 card? I was thinking the GTX 580 would play everything at max settings in direct x11 while the GTS would help out in frames?

A little more info on this would help clear me up please.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about directx card directx card
  1. You cannot run those two cards in SLi because they have different GPU's but you could use the GTS250 as a PhysX card with the GTX580 as the main card.
  2. Alright thanks, needed that.

Now would you recommend doing that or better off selling it for a few extra bucks to go towards a future SLI card with the GTX 580? I don't think I'll need a SLI right off that bat with that card tbh.

Basically would it be worth it to make that a PhysX card while the GTX 580 runs the games.
  3. Best answer
    I don't promote the "Buy one now and SLi/Xfire later" edict as I feel that by the time a second card is 'needed' newer and better more powerful cards will (hopefully) be available and the card you will be looking for will most likely be discontinued so instead of a new one you will have to try and find a second hand one which of course comes with its own set of issues.
  4. Makes sense. I don't feel I'll need ANOTHER GTX 580, so maybe I'll sell the GTS 250 and get a lower end 500 series. I think anything else will be over skill on any games that support SLI. I don't do Crysis or anything like that so, sounds good.

Appreciate your input thank you.
  5. Best answer selected by RaYIVIaIV.
  6. RaYIVIaIV said:
    Makes sense. I don't feel I'll need ANOTHER GTX 580, so maybe I'll sell the GTS 250 and get a lower end 500 series. I think anything else will be over skill on any games that support SLI. I don't do Crysis or anything like that so, sounds good.

Appreciate your input thank you.

What would you intend to do with that?
  7. Oh I'm sorry I made a mistake with my wording. Since you can't SLI a 580 with another 500 series, my statement then makes no sense. I guess I have to do some thinking if I want to buy 2 580s. Again thanks for pointing out my mistakes.
  8. Yes, you can only SLi a 580 with another 580.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Directx Graphics