Fried 1055T Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi gang,
So long and short my CPU is dead. I had a problem where the fan seized up and the thing overheated on me. I have a spare older Athlon II X2 250 and put it in my system and it came back to life (I was using a aftermarket cooler, a scythe raesetsu, with the Athlon II X2 250 I used the stock 1055T's heat sink.)

So now I am in a pickle. I want to have my system up in running in about 18 hours and I want to know what the new CPU should be. I am on a small budget (~$200) So buying a new motherboard is out (there is a working 990FX Sabertooth from ASUS in the machine at the moment) and I want to retain similar performance to the 1055T. So I was thinking either a FX 6100 or FX 4100. I do a lot of work in Linux and I rip movies all the time, so I need some speed. I know that the i-series is faster, but I can't afford to go that route right now.

I don't have a problem overclocking if it will serve me better. I have a 650W PSU so I can plenty of power to handle most things, and I am only running a single video card (a dying 5850 black edition.)

Any help is appreciated! I will be getting the new CPU from Frys.com, Microcenter or Central Computers. All local shops.

Solution

Except GTAIV which can but runs better on 3 and 4 cores and tons of VRAM.
G

What about gaming? I play Batman AC, WoW, SC2, GTA IV, Borderlands, you get the idea. I've heard/read the 8 core is pretty much useless for that (ok, not useless just under performing.)

Except GTAIV which can but runs better on 3 and 4 cores and tons of VRAM.

Solution
G

I was using a beta bios on the sabertooth. In any regard I am RMAing the 1055T, I ran out and picked up a i3 2100 and a GA-Z68AMA-D2H-B3 and aside from my failing graphics card (wouldn't work in the x16 slot, but works in the x8 slot. Tested the x16 with a old 4770 and that works fine, so the problem is definitely my video card) things play a little bit better on this intel cpu. For about ~$215 I think it was the better alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS