Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hey

I've been building a PC and after i put everything in and booted i heard a beep and then about 3 seconds later another beep, what does this mean?

Thanks.

Without knowing your system specs, the two things I would look at are

1) Are all the cords fully plugged in as well as all the parts that need to be plugged into things.

2) Is the PSU good enough.

Full system specs would help me help you. Maker, Model, and approximate age of everything.

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Specs are here https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/53ZwYG-fmr0ruS1K8RaluQ,, with a 5570 and a 250gb seagate barracuda. Everything is new except the Hdd and gpu

The PSU is good enough I am going to go out on a limb and say. Still, if you can borrow a similar one from a working PC and shove it in with these parts it would help rule the PSU out as being a problem even more. I would try to do this if you can just for peace of mind.

Did you check the connections? Are they all pushed in there firmly without being forced?

The 2 short beeps means that it is a RAM problem.

I am going to hazard a guess that your 1600 MHZ ram really wants to be 1333 MHZ.

You will probably have to OC things in the BIOS to get this to work with the same RAM.

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Long story short it's my friends computer, he is building on a tight budget. When the beep occurred instantly we checked the beep code, it said incompatible ram so I went and got some of mine to test. Could the Mobo be faulty or something?

You can't rule out that the problem is a motherboard problem if you don't test with a known good one.

It is kinda unlikely to be a motherboard problem, but that beep code does usually mean a problem that lies between RAM and Motherboard and if you already tested the RAM...

If you don't want to switch out motherboards for a known good, you could also try some other things

1) Disconnect everything except the PSU connected to the motherboard twice and the processor and 1 ram stick connected into the motherboard, nothing else. See if this result is the same, then try the other RAM stick in the same slot. Preferably your RAM instead of his.

If you can manage to get something other than 2 beeps out of the computer doing that, then say so.

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Hey,

just did what you said and still got the two beeps, tried with a stick of ram that was on the supported list and still the same 2 beeps, so that rules out incompatible memory. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Pop out the battery, wait a min, then put it back in.

Try it again with the same situation. Only the PSU plugged twice into the motherboard, with the processor and 1 RAM stick slotted in.

If that doesn't change anything, then start looking for a computer store you can buy a motherboard from under the condition that they will take it back if you try it and it doesn't fix your problem.

- Edit - You could try with your processor in his board too, and see if that changes anything. Assuming it is the same slot type and all.

You could take your whole PC back to the store you bought the motherboard from and ask them why it doesn't work.

I can't guarantee they wont just make you pay the cost of a whole new motherboard ($40 - $90/hr tech support is common) plus some, though.

If they will offer to look at it for free I don't see any good reason you shouldn't do it since they will have testing things that you don't have any access to right now.

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Reset the cmos and it worked! :D thanks for your help, i think its something to do with the mobo not clocking the ram right or something like that.

Thanks again!