Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply not strong enough?

Last response: in Components
March 3, 2012 5:35:21 AM

So I just got done putting my computer together for the first time. My build consist of

CPU AMD|8-CORE FX-8120 3.1G 16M R
MB ASUS|M4A87T AMD870 AM3 R
VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1363-KR GTX460 1G R
HD 500G|HITC SATA 3.0Gb/s 0F1038
MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
PSU RAIDMAX|RX-450K 450W RT
DVD ROM SAMSUNG | TS-H353C
ASE RAIDMAX|BLACKSTORM ATX-615WW

I keep getting a black screen even though all the LED's and fans are spinning inside. There is no beeps even though the motherboard speaker is installed. I'm 95% Sure that everything is plugged in correctly, checked twice, looked at all the screws in the motherboard to make sure it wasn't shorting or touching the case.

Only thing I can think of is that my video card needs a bigger power supply. The power supply I bought is a 450w and the video card requirements I looked up say that it need 450w? Here is a link to my card http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-136... Does this mean that I will need something bigger because it needs to run more than just that?

More about : power supply strong

a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2012 8:22:57 AM

you have a 125 Watt CPU and a 150 Watt GPU. 275 Watts not counting ANYTHING else. Raidmax makes horrible PSUs. That one is a 250Watt. I realize it says 450, but look at the 12V rail. 12V *21A = 252W. It absolutely wont power that system and there's a very good chance of it popping and taking all your stuff with it. Don't turn it on again, just get it disconnected and out of there.

PSU manufacturers (especially the crappy ones) tend to be very dishonest with their labeling. Stay very very far away from cheap ones. Again they can fail when stressed and destroy your system, and that stress point may be way below what its rated do you dont know your close. A REAL 450W PSU could power your system. Seasonic, corsair, xfx, PC power and cooling and ocz tend to be decent. Always check reviews from sites that actuslly take them apart and test them, and look at the rating label in the pictures to check the 12V rails
m
l
March 3, 2012 8:28:19 AM

If nothing is booting check that the 4pin is connected into the board aswell not just the 20 pin, and as unksol said your better buying a more expensive PSU, but this happened to me, I had a cheap PSU so i bought an XFX 650w xxx edition psu and it fried :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2012 8:34:43 AM

Also according ASUS and newegg that motherboard does not support AM3+ CPUs so its entirely possible its not going to work. I know some 870 boards got updates to work with FX but this one doesn't have one. So you probably need a new motherboard as well. Check with Asus to be sure
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
March 3, 2012 11:07:21 AM

djspenserg said:
So I just got done putting my computer together for the first time. My build consist of

CPU AMD|8-CORE FX-8120 3.1G 16M R
MB ASUS|M4A87T AMD870 AM3 R
VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1363-KR GTX460 1G R
HD 500G|HITC SATA 3.0Gb/s 0F1038
MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
DVD ROM SAMSUNG | TS-H353C
ASE RAIDMAX|BLACKSTORM ATX-615WW

I keep getting a black screen even though all the LED's and fans are spinning inside. There is no beeps even though the motherboard speaker is installed. I'm 95% Sure that everything is plugged in correctly, checked twice, looked at all the screws in the motherboard to make sure it wasn't shorting or touching the case.

Only thing I can think of is that my video card needs a bigger power supply. The power supply I bought is a 450w and the video card requirements I looked up say that it need 450w? Here is a link to my card http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-136... Does this mean that I will need something bigger because it needs to run more than just that?

Selling that piece of crap should be a crime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA
m
l
March 4, 2012 12:23:12 AM

unksol said:
Also according ASUS and newegg that motherboard does not support AM3+ CPUs so its entirely possible its not going to work. I know some 870 boards got updates to work with FX but this one doesn't have one. So you probably need a new motherboard as well. Check with Asus to be sure

I bought it from newegg and the processor came in a package with the motherboard. So I'm pretty sure its compatible.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 3:37:56 AM

djspenserg said:
I bought it from newegg and the processor came in a package with the motherboard. So I'm pretty sure its compatible.

Asus says its not and doesn't list a BIOS update for it.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

So does newegg. All I can tell you is double check with Asus, but they would know better than newegg so newegg probably screwed up. Either posting the wrong combo, sending the wrong one, grabbing the wrong one off the stack in the warehouse...(check your invoice)

The good news is if its neweggs fault your invoice should show the (bad) combo and they should take care of you. Its been years since I had a problem with them but when I did they overnighted the part they forgot from California to the Midwest at no cost, and it was a monitor.
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:14:06 AM

unksol said:
Asus says its not and doesn't list a BIOS update for it.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

So does newegg. All I can tell you is double check with Asus, but they would know better than newegg so newegg probably screwed up. Either posting the wrong combo, sending the wrong one, grabbing the wrong one off the stack in the warehouse...(check your invoice)

The good news is if its neweggs fault your invoice should show the (bad) combo and they should take care of you. Its been years since I had a problem with them but when I did they overnighted the part they forgot from California to the Midwest at no cost, and it was a monitor.

I've looked it up and it is not compatible. They have a few non-compatible set ups for FX series, seems like they just want to get rid of it. The invoice does state the exact items I received and they don't work together. Will they still exchange it even if it isn't packaged exactly how it came? I will call them as soon as they open to get this figured out. Thanks for all the help.

I didn't think it was my power supply but it was the only thing I could think of. I realize I still need a better power supply but knew it wouldn't be the reason for the black screen.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 6:52:53 AM

I am not positive what they will do since it was a combo, and not sure thdeal you got. the best idea I can come up with is to try and get them to swap you boards, looking for something that's the same price as that board currently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681312852...
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681312845...
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 7:19:09 AM

djspenserg said:

m
l
March 7, 2012 8:40:07 PM

Same thing happened to me bro. It's the mobo, lol.
m
l
!