Lowest temperature a computer can withstand

tkog

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hello,
I am going to be making a drive from south florida all the way up to canada around christmas time, and wanted to bring my PC with me. However, I'm not sure if the cold temperatures outside of the car (especially in canada) will harm my computer or any of the components. The computer will not be turned on at all during this drive, however it may be subject to temperature in the mid -20C. Will my computer survive this, or should i just leave it in florida?

Do you believe that no computers or computer parts can be shipped to Canada during winter? When you get to your destination, let the computer warm up to room temperature for a few hors and you'll be fine. If the computer is in your car's trunk, it won't be that cold anyhow.

tkog

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

It will be left in the trunk of my car overnight though, which means it'll get even colder, and it won't have the heat from the car to warm it up. Do you think it will still be fine? (It's a brand new $1000 rig, so I'm just making sure it will survive)

Absolutely as long as you let it warm up to room temperature before powering it up. Humidity is what causes problems, not the cold itself. Liquid nitrogen used by overclockers to achieve maximum performance is much colder than a Canadian winter and computers survive.

atvstevie

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
So i have a question, Im looking at this post and can see its quite old, But i am build a wall mounted rack server in my shop in the back yard/field. It is totally weather proof (obv), but unfortunately i live in canada....Im not worried about the heat because i bought large 120 volt blower fans, but im worried about the cold. It will be a 24/7 server connected to my network Via 6, Gig niks. The ethernet will run under ground in a shared communication pvc tube (telephone/tv). will the cold affect the server/computer while it is like -20 out side (-10 inside the shop)?