Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why should i get PCI-E x16 3.0 motherboard instead of 2.0 ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2011 5:43:39 PM

am building a system (gtx 560 ti, i5 2500K ,4G ram) now i need ti buy a motherboard with one PCI-E x16 slot
and a friend told me i should get a ( 3.0 pci-e ) motherboard .. i don't really know why i should go for 3.0 instead of 2.0 especially and 3.0 boards are more expensive than the 2.0

so am asking why i should go for 3,0 .. and whats the cheapest 3.0 boards available for know !!

More about : pci x16 motherboard

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 5:52:37 PM

You don't need to get a pci-e 3.0 board. There is currently no advantage of that over 2.0. The only reason to get it is if you are planning on upgrading to an Ivy Bridge CPU in 6-7 months and a 3.0 graphics card around the same time.

Even then, there is no way to know how big of a benefit 3.0 will bring. as for your second question, I would get this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Aside from looking completely badass, it is very inexpensive and a very good motherboard if you are not looking at all the crazy features of higher priced mobo's. And it has 3.0 built in, so thats a plus if you are going that way
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 6:29:43 PM

phishy714 said:
You don't need to get a pci-e 3.0 board. There is currently no advantage of that over 2.0. The only reason to get it is if you are planning on upgrading to an Ivy Bridge CPU in 6-7 months and a 3.0 graphics card around the same time.

Even then, there is no way to know how big of a benefit 3.0 will bring. as for your second question, I would get this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Aside from looking completely badass, it is very inexpensive and a very good motherboard if you are not looking at all the crazy features of higher priced mobo's. And it has 3.0 built in, so thats a plus if you are going that way

+1; im not sure if we even get all the performance currently out of 2.0 .......
Score
Related resources
October 3, 2011 7:02:48 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
+1; im not sure if we even get all the performance currently out of 2.0 .......

We don't. You lose like 3-4% of performance in games if you go from 2.0 to 1.0.
Score
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 8:54:30 PM

you should buy a pcie-3 motherboard, not because its pcie3, but because it will be ivy bridge compatable, giving you an upgrade option when ivy bridge cpu's are released, as the boards will only support pcie3 with an IB cpu installed. And yes you should get one because they are newer and support IB.
Score
October 3, 2011 9:17:54 PM

There are several boards out there that will run a SINGLE video card at 3.0 with a bios update. You only need the 3.0 switches for running crossfire or SLI.
Score
October 3, 2011 9:44:16 PM

Best answer selected by hameem 1.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 10:59:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!