Can a MB take either of the CPUs or only one of the two available CPUs

Richard HA

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hi, Is a MB (motherboard) always CPU specific??

Means a MB is compatible with only one of the CPUs (intel or amd), or are there any MBs that are compatible with both of these CPUs? I heard that if i buy LGA 1155 socket MB then I can use only Intel CPUs and if I buy AM3 socket type of MB then I can use only AMD CPUS, is that right?

Thanks!

Solution
Actually, it gets even more involved than that. Once you decide on Intel or AMD, you need to check what CPUs that particular board/socket can accept. That can be accomplished on the board's web site. Do you have a board or CPU in mind?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, it gets even more involved than that. Once you decide on Intel or AMD, you need to check what CPUs that particular board/socket can accept. That can be accomplished on the board's web site. Do you have a board or CPU in mind?

Solution

Richard HA

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks very much Clutchc once again! No, actually I am just in the process of gathering some info for my future computer. Sure before buying the MB I will check the exact CPU compatibility issues at their website. Thanks and really appreciate the help!!!

TRENDING THREADS