AMD x6 1090t vs. FX 8120 vs. Piledriver

dimitrijames

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I bought an 8120 before I figured out what a garbage cpu it was.
Thankfully I am actually assembling my components until Mid May.
I am primarily using this computer as a gaming pc as well as for music production (which is why i bought so much ram).

I am unsure If I should buy a x6 1090t BE CPU that will work with my AM3+ motherboard. Or should I keep my garbage cpu 8120. I will be using a Zalman CNPS 9700 LED hs so I will probably overclock a little.

Another option is to wait for Piledrivers release. This is kind of important because 1090t s are fewer and fewer every day. Here is a list of all components I have.

64gb ocz petrol ssd (this thing will probably. Breaks so I will ram :(
2tb 7200rpm seagate barracuda
16gb patriot Ram I think 1600mhz
Cnps 9700 led cooler zalman
2gb 880mhz Msi gtx 560 ti oc
750w antec green 750w psu

Solution
If it's not too late I would send back everything you bought. When you are read to build, then buy your components.

My recommendation is to build a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge PC. Piledriver will probably come out towards the end of the year and AMD expects it to be 10% faster than Bulldozer. If that holds true, then Piledriver should be able to compete against Intel's 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 (Lynnfield & Nehalem).

One thing, that Zalman wont cut it for overclocking. I had one on my Q6600 but I was at 3GHz using less than stock voltage.

My QX6850 however would not run well with it. Neither would my 2500K. If you want to overclock, you will need to get a better cooler, if you like Zalman the 9900Max or 12X are both great for overclocking. My 2500K stays around 50-60c at 4.5GHz while gaming and 60-65c while Prime95.

You shouldn't have purchased until you were ready to assemble. Parts, with few exceptions, come down in price over time. So that was ill-advised right off the bat.

All that said, there is little point in exchanging it for a 1090 or waiting for piledriver.

If it's not too late I would send back everything you bought. When you are read to build, then buy your components.

My recommendation is to build a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge PC. Piledriver will probably come out towards the end of the year and AMD expects it to be 10% faster than Bulldozer. If that holds true, then Piledriver should be able to compete against Intel's 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 (Lynnfield & Nehalem).

Solution

dimitrijames

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks guys.
I ended up getting an 1100t + Deus x for 170 so i sold my zambezi and lost no cash :D
The heatsink didn't have the am2/3 adapter so i bought a Corsair H100.

I oc my 1100t to 4.2 ghz

Ok so I should have bought an 2600k
My excuse is that when piledriver comes out ill get that get a couple gpus and be happy.
for a while anyways