GTX 580 Power Supply? (CARD SOLVED)

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I don't know how much RAM is in your system, but for serious rendering tasks it's good to have at least 8GB.
As for the graphics cards - see, most renderers, inc. mentalray, vray, don't yet effectively utilize GPGPU techniques /CUDA in particular/, although it's under heavy work, so, for the moment it's not so important what graphics card you have /for the specific rendering task/. There are already some hybrid renderers.
There are also some tasks in compositing and recoding accelerated by CUDA.

twick

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Thanks for your reply. I am already aware that your CPU and RAM make the biggest difference. Many software utilize openGL in addition to CUDA cores but I believe you are right about vray and mental ray in particular.

Iray, on the other hand, uses both.

I'm mainly a C4D and Aftereffects user, so openGL/graphics card performance does make a large difference.

I have 12G of DDR3 in my computer. I'm thinking of pushing it to 24 but then I have to remove all of my 2G sticks and replace them with entirely new ones. That is another discussion though.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
OpenGL helps in previewing /an "onscreen" task/, and all the tasks needing onscreen preview and user interaction like modeling, texturing, anim., not in rendering /a basically "offscreen" task/, but some options in AE are really accessible only if you have OGL /same applies for other compositing packages too/.
Iray, Arion are hybrids. Practically every major rendering manufacturer, including mental images, splutter fish /brazil/, chaos grp. /vray/ is currently working on harnessing the power of massive parallel systems on graphics card or dedicated. Plus there are some new players in the field. There are some unbiased GPU accelerated renderers in development. As much as I know however, specifically chaos group's RT rendering project after running on some obstacles saw no any significant progress for quite a long time.
Do you use Realflow for particle simulation?

twick

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Great info, this is exactly what I've found while nothing went on today at techsupport other than a funky "Thinkpad".

Yes, I've been messing with the Arnold Beta since the plugin for RealFlow was released :)

Based on your experience do you think I would benefit more from the increased speeds of the 580 or the 570's vRAM. I like the vRAM because its 100$ cheaper and almost as much as the Quadro 4000's RAM - 100's of dollars.

Chirag Borawake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
For rendering purposes, you need at least 2GB VRAM with a good GPU. GTX 580 sounds good to me. I use GTX 460, and I am satisfied with its rendering process. Planning for SLI in a month though..!!
GTX 580 with 2GB(especially when you are doing some hardcore animations), or more than that can do the trick.

twick

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Thank you for your response. I'll be getting the GTX 580 3GB now since it has the most vram and CPU power without going to crazy route of the 590 for 800$.

Would I be safe with a 580 and a 750W power supply powering a stock i7920?