Cable release for EOS 20D?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 29, 2005 4:32:24 AM

I need a cable release for my Canon 20D, but I have no
intention of paying $425 for it!

OTOH, I would like to see something like a USB control with an
iPAQ program. I wonder if there is enough information in the
Canon SDK to program such a beast?

Anway, are there any inexpensive aftermarket cable release options?

Going to be doing some nighttime landscapes, so need really loooong
exposures.

Thanks.

More about : cable release eos 20d

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:32:25 AM

Canon Brand Cable Release should only run about 69.00 US. I have bought two
so far, having run over the first with my car. Ooops.

You need a RS80-N3 B&H has it for 49.95

"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
>I need a cable release for my Canon 20D, but I have no
> intention of paying $425 for it!
>
> OTOH, I would like to see something like a USB control with an
> iPAQ program. I wonder if there is enough information in the
> Canon SDK to program such a beast?
>
> Anway, are there any inexpensive aftermarket cable release options?
>
> Going to be doing some nighttime landscapes, so need really loooong
> exposures.
>
> Thanks.

April 29, 2005 8:57:22 AM

In article <9Qgce.26219$Ow2.625@fe06.lga>,
Celtic Boar <extraneous@charter.net> wrote:

>Canon Brand Cable Release should only run about 69.00 US. I have bought two
>so far, having run over the first with my car. Ooops.
>
>You need a RS80-N3 B&H has it for 49.95

Ah, the timer version looks intersting too, at $132.95. I had only
found the wireless ones so far.

Big step from my last cable release which was about $5.00 in 1975 and
worked on every camera under the sun :-)
April 29, 2005 8:57:23 AM

> In article <9Qgce.26219$Ow2.625@fe06.lga>,
> Celtic Boar <extraneous@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Canon Brand Cable Release should only run about 69.00 US. I have bought
>>two
>>so far, having run over the first with my car. Ooops.
>>
>>You need a RS80-N3 B&H has it for 49.95
>
> Ah, the timer version looks intersting too, at $132.95. I had only
> found the wireless ones so far.
>
> Big step from my last cable release which was about $5.00 in 1975 and
> worked on every camera under the sun :-)

I have found the timer version indespensable on many many occasions.
Not only can you set time to exposure, but you can set times BETWEEN shots,
and number of shots to take--up to 99 exposures. Or... You can simply use
it as a standard cable release as I often do.
Worth every penny.
I've had mine since before Canon released a DSLR (used it on my EOS 3 film
body).
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:58:29 PM

You are kidding me -- the pinout is the same between the oly e20 and
the 20d ??? There's a wasted $50 !!!
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:31:11 PM

MarkĀ² wrote:

> I have found the timer version indespensable on many many occasions.
> Not only can you set time to exposure, but you can set times BETWEEN shots,
> and number of shots to take--up to 99 exposures. Or... You can simply use
> it as a standard cable release as I often do.
> Worth every penny.
> I've had mine since before Canon released a DSLR (used it on my EOS 3 film
> body).

For just an ordinary remote release, I use the remote control for my Oly
E20. You can also use the timer.

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:07:01 AM

missingdata wrote:
> You are kidding me -- the pinout is the same between the oly e20 and
> the 20d ??? There's a wasted $50 !!!

I was just suggesting that the remote can be used as a cable release for
most cameras. But probably wouldn't work for time exposures.

Gary Eickmeier
!