Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for a new rig - Here's what I had in mind.

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 29, 2011 11:35:34 PM

I guess the title explains it.
I'm looking to replace my old, rusty rig, mainly for gaming purposes, since this old tin can really can't take it anymore. I'm probably not going to overclock it, given my really poor understanding on the matter, and I'm not really aiming in having the best gaming pc out there.
I'm on a budget so to speak, and I'd simply like a rig capable of playing the last games with pretty high settings, on 1680x1050.

That said, here's what I had in mind.
I'd really like some opinions and advices on possible changes, hopefully while remaining in the same price range.
Thanks in advance.


CPU: AMD X6 1090T AM3

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 - Socket AM3 - Chipset 890GX

Graphics Card: Crossfire 2xATI Radeon HD6870 (Already have these)

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 4GB x 2

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620 620 W (Already have it)



I really don't have many ideas about the Case and the HDD, so I'd really like some opinions on that too.
The price range should be around 50-60 bucks for each of them.
Again, Thanks for giving me some of your time.

More about : rig mind

November 29, 2011 11:47:59 PM

If you're pretty set on your budget and set on not overclocking, then you may want to look at the i5-2400.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overcloc...

Intel pretty much has a leg up on any cpu over $100.

if you do go intel, this board is a great price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


As for the case, you won't have a lot of options at $50-60. Here are a few:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I have this case, for the price it has sturdy construction and great airflow. The cable management is almost non-existent but for sub $50, you really won't find any case with cable mgmt.

A little more expensive, but it's on sale if you act fast:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the HDD you'll be hard-pressed to find any 50-60. If you keep a keen eye out there's sales in the 70-80 range for 1tb 7200rpm hdd. Most recently this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 29, 2011 11:53:35 PM

I have had terrible experiences with that asus 890gx motherboard better check out reviews.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2011 11:53:37 PM

If you are just gaming with this set-up, I feel that a hexacore would be wasteful. A quad would likely perform just as well whilst gaming.

I would also suggest a 990FX board which would allow more flexibility if you were to upgrade to one of AMD's current or future FX products.

I suggest the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They are both on-sale and ship for free as long as you live in the states!
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2011 11:54:49 PM

As far as the psu goes you might need to up the psu a bit if you are going to run two 6870 video cards , do you have them running now in your old rusty rig with that psu. Next while you will have no trouble finding a case for 50 to 60 bucks , I don't know what you will get for a hdd for that amount.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K57 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721075DLE630 (0F13179) 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive $52.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There isn't much to choose from for hdd's in your price range.



November 30, 2011 12:28:32 AM

patapat said:
If you're pretty set on your budget and set on not overclocking, then you may want to look at the i5-2400.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overcloc...

Intel pretty much has a leg up on any cpu over $100.


Thanks. I did think about the i5-2400 or even the i5-2500k, but are the increased performances really worth the extra money, or they're not that much noticeable? I'm not really after the best one benchmark-wise, simply one that can do well and be cheap. Even if I know that six cores for gaming is kind of a waste.


DoomsWord89 said:
I suggest the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They are both on-sale and ship for free as long as you live in the states!


I'm from Italy unfortunately, but those two really seem a good choice, Thank you.
I did know that a X6 would be quite a waste for a gaming pc, but I was hoping it would perform well anyway, while also preparing myself for possible developments in the future. But if that X4 can give almost the same performances and also cost less, I guess I'll go with it. How's that FX-4100 compared to, dunno, something like a i5-2400? Way inferior?
I could also just dump the AMD and try Intel and add some more money for it, but I really don't know if it's worth it, for someone like me that doesn't really care too much about benchmarks and optimal performances.
As redemeer said I also heard quite a lot of bad things about the M4A89GTD, so going for a Gigabyte is probably a good idea.


patapat said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I have this case, for the price it has sturdy construction and great airflow. The cable management is almost non-existent but for sub $50, you really won't find any case with cable mgmt.

A little more expensive, but it's on sale if you act fast:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


inzone said:
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K57 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Shiny. I like. Thanks for the info, it's going to be hard to decide.
I guess that I'll also have to pay up a little bit more, for a decent HDD. Prices sure went up. Thanks for the info anyway, maybe I'll have some luck and find one at a decent price during an upcoming sale in one of the local stores.

inzone said:
As far as the psu goes you might need to up the psu a bit if you are going to run two 6870 video cards , do you have them running now in your old rusty rig with that psu.


At the moment I'm actually running a single 6870. Do you think a 700W would be better? I guess I might try first with the PSU that I have right now, and maybe change it in the future, if it gives me problems.

a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2011 12:42:12 AM

If you have the budget for an 1155 set-up then I would go Intel.
!