First Time Build! Need Parts Checked and Tips Appreciated! Please Help

Hello,

I have decided to take a leap of faith and build a computer. I have absolutely NO experience, and this is my first build. I just want to make sure everything is compatible, and that I'm getting the best for what I am paying. I would like to stay within the range of $1,000 (just for the machine itself). I live in the United States, and I was told to purchase everything off of Newegg. I would like to overclock but have no idea how, and as for a monitor anything that is 23 inches, 1080p and within the price range of $100-275.

Any tips about your first time building is extremely appreciated, As for building, the recommended assembly guides will be read. This is my current cart, if you think ANYTHING should be changed for whatever reason (please state why though) please say so. I need to get my money's worth out of this computer.

PARTS:

Corsair Carbide Series 400R
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008)

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385)

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139030)

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417)

ASRock P67 EXTREME4
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229R

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge (3.3GHz)
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072)

{Currently Sold Out} Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185)

ANYTHING THAT SHOULD BE ADDED OR CHANGED (i.e. extra fans, the works) PLEASE DON'T BE AFRAID TO VOICE YOUR OPINION!
I would like to have this computer BUILT a week after Christmas.
Thanks in advance :)
17 answers Last reply
More about first time build parts checked tips appreciated help
  1. Everything looks good so far

    For a 1k build I would cheapen up the case a little. Now dont get it twisted thats great case you got on there but for me personally I would go with a cheaper case to put more towards the GPU or motherboard.

    Rosewill CHALLENGER - $50.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    Antec Three Hundred Illusion - $55.00 (MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    Also if you dont plan to go CF/SLI lower the PSU down to a 550W, if you do plan to CF/SLI then keep the 750W

    Your motherboard is a little on the cheap side and if you plan to OC you dont want that. Plus Z68's are better than P67's IMO.

    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $125.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    Spinpoint is good but another top dealer in HDDs would be the Seagate Barracuda and I believe its cheaper than the Spinpoint last I saw

    If you plan to OC you also need a CPU Cooler, Hyper 212 Plus or Hyper 212 EVO are the way to go. $25-$35

    You also stil need a CD/DVD drive and an OS if you dont already have one.

    There are plenty of cases to choose from if you need more help let me know
  2. Thanks a lot! I've swapped out a few things, but could you indulge my curiosity and explain to me what CF/SLI is? And whether or not I should be doing it. :) Thanks in advance!
  3. claytonrace said:
    Thanks a lot! I've swapped out a few things, but could you indulge my curiosity and explain to me what CF/SLI is? And whether or not I should be doing it. :) Thanks in advance!


    Crossfire and SLI would be the act of running several GPUs in tandem.

    Crossfire when referring to ATI cards, SLI when referring to Nvidia products.
  4. DoomsWord89 said:
    Crossfire and SLI would be the act of running several GPUs in tandem.

    Crossfire when referring to ATI cards, SLI when referring to Nvidia products.



    Ah, basically if I am purchasing more than one GPU then I should be using Crossfire. Well, I currently am cutting it close as it is so I don't think I will need that. Emelth stated that if I wasn't planning on using CF/SLI I should swap my current PSU out for a less powerful one. Any ideas or recommendations?
  5. Emelth is correct, the chosen PSU is overkill unless you plan to CFX/SLI.

    I would suggest the following unit:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

    Its a bit cheaper, its semi-modular and best of all its a Seasonic.

    This unit would also be suitable, though it is non-modular:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

    It too is much cheaper and would be just as reliable.
  6. Thanks for the follow up DoomsWord got a little busy +1 to the above PSU
  7. in terms of your graphics card, the one you have selected (6950 1GB) is a bad choice, mostly because it performs barely better than the one right below it, which is the radeon hd 6870. if you dont want to spend extra money on a GPU, downgrade to the 6870 because you'll get more bang for buck. but if i were you i would bump the GPU up to a 6970 2GB. that's a great card.
  8. paradoxeternal said:
    in terms of your graphics card, the one you have selected (6950 1GB) is a bad choice, mostly because it performs barely better than the one right below it, which is the radeon hd 6870. if you dont want to spend extra money on a GPU, downgrade to the 6870 because you'll get more bang for buck. but if i were you i would bump the GPU up to a 6970 2GB. that's a great card.



    Well, will the 6970 2GB be too powerful for my current specs? And will it really make a difference in terms of reliability, efficiency and power? Because all I'm trying to achieve is getting high(er/est) graphics and solid FPS on new games. I guess what I am trying to say is if I downgrade will it affect my wants, and if I upgrade will it improve my wants? Thanks in advance :)
  9. Here is a list of GPUs and how they compare against one another

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188
  10. claytonrace said:
    Well, will the 6970 2GB be too powerful for my current specs? And will it really make a difference in terms of reliability, efficiency and power? Because all I'm trying to achieve is getting high(er/est) graphics and solid FPS on new games. I guess what I am trying to say is if I downgrade will it affect my wants, and if I upgrade will it improve my wants? Thanks in advance :)


    The 620W Seasonic unit would run a single 6970 without issue.

    Use this PSU calculator, it will give you an estimation as to much "juice" the set-up will draw:

    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
  11. Quote:
    if you can build LEGO you can build a pc, so good luck.
    have you checked whether your RAM, CPU and GPU are configured with your Motherboard and also lessen the money on the case their are some better deals out there, you just have to look around



    You bring up a good point, I need to make sure everything is comptiable, but the thing is, I don't know how. I'm still learning computer jargon. :( Can you think of any guides that give simple step-by-step directions? Thanks in advance :)
  12. Alright, so I have complied a new-and-improved cart with recommended items. This is my current cart:

    Rosewill CHALLENGER
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    1TB Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

    GIGABYTE 6950 1GB 256-bit (it's only a $30 difference from the 6870 1GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385

    ASUS DVD-ROM (Will this be compatiable? Or should I swap it out?)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135224

    SeaSonic M12II 620W BRONZE Modular
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

    G.SKILL Sniper 8GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417

    ASRock Z68 Extreme3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 120mm Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

    i5-2500k Sandy Bridge HD Graphics 3000
    {Currently Sold Out}


    Other than that I have Windows 7 on standby. Are all these things compatiable and ready to be purchased? I'm anxious to start building. If you feel things are good, give me the heads-up or if something needs to be changed please say so. You all have been EXTREMELY helpful and I can't thank you enough!
  13. claytonrace said:
    You bring up a good point, I need to make sure everything is comptiable, but the thing is, I don't know how. I'm still learning computer jargon. :( Can you think of any guides that give simple step-by-step directions? Thanks in advance :)


    The following video seems pretty suitable:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo&feature=fvst

    However, experience is the best teacher.

    As for you current build specs, I would say everything looks "tip-top".
  14. not sure why that guy said that.....the card you picked is much better than a 6870....its a whole different platform

    also dont forget to involve your 2 boys there....nothing better than building cool stuff with dad.......

    and when you get your stuff.....search for a vid on preventing static discharge when building it... it will help in the long run

    the only other thing id add to that is a small ssd (30gig) and make use of the intel IRST....it'll make your storage soooooo much faster

    good luck

    bTx
  15. badtaylorx said:
    not sure why that guy said that.....the card you picked is much better than a 6870....its a whole different platform

    also dont forget to involve your 2 boys there....nothing better than building cool stuff with dad.......

    and when you get your stuff.....search for a vid on preventing static discharge when building it... it will help in the long run

    the only other thing id add to that is a small ssd (30gig) and make use of the intel IRST....it'll make your storage soooooo much faster

    good luck

    bTx



    Phew, well I'm glad I kept the 6950. As for an SSD I will purchase a 30GB one as soon as Newegg restocks! Also, I'm not the old fella on the left, I'm the other guy on the right xD Thanks for you're reply, I'm sure I'll be building this machine well before Christmas.
  16. have fun....and come back if you need any help
  17. Indeed, best of luck and be sure to post the finished product in the member's system gallery!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Build Systems Product