Sign in with
Your question

Computer Wont Post or Boot

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2012 3:43:54 PM

The other day I was downloading some stuff on steam on my computer. When I was in the living room I heard the fan on my 6970 ramp up to 100%. I went into my room and noticed the screens were blank. I tried to shut it off by holding the power button and it would not work. I had to unplug the computer from the wall to get it to turn off.

Now when I try and turn on my pc the case fans turn on but it doesn't post and the fan for the gpu does not start.

Where do I start for troubleshooting this?

The bios was restored to factory optimized a couple weeks ago, so it was running at stock clocks when this happened

I took the gpu out and tried it in a different slot on the mobo, with no luck.

PC Specs Below

Haf 932 Advanced Case:
MSI 790XT-G45 Mobo:
Sapphire 6970 2gb:
AMD 940 x4 @3.00
Corsair H100 cpu cooler:
Corsair XMS2 4gb ddr2 @800mhz:
96gb Kingston SSD:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit:
3-Acer #22 Monitors
Corsair 750 watt psu
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 4:32:16 PM

Hi :) 

You start with another PSU....

All the best Brett :) 
March 3, 2012 5:47:41 PM

I tested the psu with a multimeter and all the voltages are within tolerance. I tested the 8, 4pin mobo, and 24pin connectors.

I'm leaning towards the psu being fine.
Related resources
a c 123 à CPUs
March 3, 2012 5:51:20 PM

03fan said:
I tested the psu with a multimeter and all the voltages are within tolerance. I tested the 8, 4pin mobo, and 24pin connectors.

I'm leaning towards the psu being fine.

The one thing the multimeter wont tell you is how many amps are being put out. A PSU can put out the proepr voltages but not the proper amps. I have seen it plenty of times, same case as yours where it powers but no post. Put in a new PSU and it powers and posts.

They have even PSU testers but I don't use them at work as the best tester is a known good PSU.

So your best bet is to take a new known good PSU and plug it in and see what happens. If it still doesn't power you move to the next component, in your case I would move to GPU then if still nothing CPU, RAM etc.

Diagnosing a PC takes work. Trust me I do it all day every day.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 11:15:56 PM

jimmysmitty said:
The one thing the multimeter wont tell you is how many amps are being put out. A PSU can put out the proepr voltages but not the proper amps. I have seen it plenty of times, same case as yours where it powers but no post. Put in a new PSU and it powers and posts.

They have even PSU testers but I don't use them at work as the best tester is a known good PSU.

So your best bet is to take a new known good PSU and plug it in and see what happens. If it still doesn't power you move to the next component, in your case I would move to GPU then if still nothing CPU, RAM etc.

Diagnosing a PC takes work. Trust me I do it all day every day.

Lol, your day sounds just like mine and excellent advice....

I somehow doubt the Op knows the difference between voltage and amperage...or what it does or doesnt do...

March 4, 2012 5:15:21 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Lol, your day sounds just like mine and excellent advice....

I somehow doubt the Op knows the difference between voltage and amperage...or what it does or doesnt do...

I've taken numerous electronics engineering classes and have worked as an electricians helper for the summer, so I know the basics of electricity. :D 

After testing as much as I can, I was going to try a new gpu from a friend and test if the pci controller went bad. This morning I decided to put the system back together because I wasn't able to get my friends gpu to test for a couple days. I put everything together and it started right up and everything works.

I used to have an i7 920 mobo/ram/cpu and sold that 2 months ago and put my current(old) stuff back in. I'm hoping that this works for a couple weeks untill ivy bridge comes out, then I am getting a new cpu/mobo/ram to replace this old stuff.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'll blame this problem on aliens ;) 
!