Getting my friend a good graphics card

robertmassaioli

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
My friend has the following motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=N68-S3

Would I be able to get this graphics card to slot into that mobo?

I am asking because the graphics card requires a PCI 2.0 slot and the motherboard seems only to have PCI slots. But I am not really sure about that (I don't know much about the different versions of PCI). If it does work then that is great, but if it does not then does anybody have any graphics card suggestions that might be good?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The card will physically fit in the slot but will only have a bandwidth equivalent to a pcie 2.0 x8 slot available to it. That should be plenty, though.

What are the rest of your friend's specs? What resolution monitor will he use to play games? Any processor that that board can use is going to bottleneck a 560.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
The card will physically fit in the slot but will only have a bandwidth equivalent to a pcie 2.0 x8 slot available to it. That should be plenty, though.

What are the rest of your friend's specs? What resolution monitor will he use to play games? Any processor that that board can use is going to bottleneck a 560.

Solution

robertmassaioli

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Hmm, thankyou for the response but does that mean that there is another cheaper graphics card that I should get instead to do the same job at the same speed?

On the other hand, I guess he can always just replace his mobo sometime in the future and he'll still have an awesome card.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Yeah, if he plans to replace his motherboard, processor, and RAM, he could carry over the new graphics card. That's something to consider. How likely is he to do that any time soon? Does he plan to overclock the card? If not, you could spend $250 on a reference design 560 Ti and he'd get more out of that. But yeah, the rest of his system is going to hold that card back at all resolutions besides ones so high that the framerates wouldn't be playable anyway.

TRENDING THREADS