The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
I am seriously considering buying the Plextor Ultra Wide reader as a complement to the Plex 12/10/32S, and am interested in hearing of anyone's experience or opinions of it. Also, since I can't find it locally I am looking at Computers 4 Sure.com for the purchase; has anyone done business with them? Thanks for any constructive suggestions.

Good Karma

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
In case anybody's wondering, I took the plunge and ordered the UltaPlex Wide and the 12/10/32S PlexWriter from computers4sure (no, I don't work for them.) I haven't had a chance to benchmark the UltraWide, but I can tell you the selection, price, and service from computers4sure was flawless. I would not hesitate to make additional hardware purchases from them. The boxes arrived on time (2nd day air) and appear factory fresh (sealed and undamaged.)

Good Karma

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
Well, I wasn't disappointed. Both drives are everything I'd imagined. I'm running them under W2k with NERO 5.0.3.9 and DCD 3.03a. Just a few weeks ago I made an impulsive decision and bought two of Yamaha's 2100SZ's - BAD MOVE. What a pain in the butt, returning them and hunting down the Plextors; but it was really worth it. These are really high-end drives, plus, I saved over $150 from what the Yamaha's cost. Nice, very nice.

Good Karma

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
Regarding service with computers4sure.com-there was one hiccup, and that was with the billing. Turns out they mistakenly double-billed my Visa. No biggie, but not perfect-just very close.

Good Karma

G

I have the 12/4/32 plexwriter and the Ultraplex 40max, very slick combo. Very good match for disc to disc. Is your drive the 68 pin model, or the 50? Mine is the 50 pin, just clarifying.
Good Buy,
Ray

G

My plextor 40wide is the best cd-rom I have ever seen or used. Paid 120.00 for it and use a adaptec 29160 scsi card to drive it home. There is no better drive!

"Sometimes i like it when dogs sniff my crotch."-Pope John Paul II