Different size sticks...

rafa360

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I have a z77 pro4 with 2 sticks of 4gbs each and the mobo supports 4 stick and 32 gbs max...

the ram is corsair 1600mhz 1.5v cl9 lp

can i buy a kit of 2x8 gb and plug it there ? would it accept 24gb in dual channel? (being the SAME brand, cl, speed, model number... just the size different)

and another question (for another system) if a buy 2 packs of 1x4gb instead of buiyng the exact same one in a 2x4gb, would it run in dual channel? I read in the sticky that dual channel is not an ability of the ram but from the motherboard... sooo, if i buy 2 sticks of ram in separeted packs (and doenst say anything about dual channel) would it be running in dual channel if the mobo has it?

thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your memory slots are actually in pairs, so as long as the memory in the pairs match, you'll be fine for dual channel operations. Yes, you could install the 2x8 kit and get a total of 24GB of dual channel memory as long as the DIMMs are in the matched slots.

Your motherboard manual will have the info in it.

Regarding buying multiple, single DIMM packages, as long as they are the same model (using the same chipset, etc), they will work as dual channel memory as well.

Good luck!

rafa360

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

awsome, thank you