Sign in with
Your question

Need new card for older pc, Help Please?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2011 11:42:17 PM

Hi guys, just have a few questions about getting a new card for my pc. It has an 2.4ghz dual core cpu so I am not sure the best way to go. My video card blew and I am using integrated video now which just sucks. :cry:  I can't upgrade my cpu right now, but I need a card to get me by or to use in a new pc maybe next year. I play a few games at 1920x1080 or whatever works on my 23 inch monitor. What would be a good card for me to get? I was looking at a GTX 460, HD 5770, or HD 6850. Would my cpu be able to keep up at all and which would you go with in my spot? I don't want to buy something that would only half run on current pc. I have a 550 watt corsair power supply so I think I could power a new card.

More about : card older

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2011 12:12:49 AM

What's the exact model of your CPU? First I would upgrade to a quad core and then get a gigabyte 6850 because a dual core is going to bottleneck your higher end graphics cards.
m
l
October 4, 2011 12:25:27 AM

samuelspark said:
What's the exact model of your CPU? First I would upgrade to a quad core and then get a gigabyte 6850 because a dual core is going to bottleneck your higher end graphics cards.

I don't think my board will take a quad core or can it? What's the best I can do? In pc wizard it says

Type : Intel Core 2 Duo
Internal Specification : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
Model Number : E4600
Codename : Conroe

Here is my board in a stock HP computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 12:38:02 AM

samuelspark said:

That's pretty much asking the OP to make a new PC. The fact that he's has a dual-core means his other parts will be outdated to some degree as well; which isn't surprising considering how fast new models are released yearly. That aside, even if he gets a new CPU AND Mobo, he'll probably run into other issues such as his power supply, possibly DDR2/DDR3 ram incompatibilities; it's a domino effect.

PcGuy1 said:
I don't think my board will take a quad core or can it? What's the best I can do?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

I would suggest buying a ATI 5670 (Entry Level Graphics card) to get the most out of your current system. "Entry Level" may not sound like much, but considering the age of your system, I'm sure the 5670 will outperform your previous card. On a side note, the 5670 uses almost no power (Max power draw of only 61W), which should be comparable or less than your previous card, which means you will not need to get a new PSU. It's usually better to get the most out of what you have and save up for a new PC if you need it.

~Coffee

PS: Can you check your PSU??? Depending on the model you have, you might be able to run a ATI 5770 [Significantly more capable than the 5670 AND you won't need to worry about bottleneck with your current CPU].
m
l
October 4, 2011 12:43:39 AM

coffeecoffee said:
That's pretty much asking the OP to make a new PC. The fact that he's has a dual-core means his other parts will be outdated to some degree as well; which isn't surprising considering how fast new models are released yearly. That aside, even if he gets a new CPU AND Mobo, he'll probably run into other issues such as his power supply, possibly DDR2/DDR3 ram incompatibilities; it's a domino effect.

I would suggest buying a ATI 5670 (Entry Level Graphics card) to get the most out of your current system. "Entry Level" may not sound like much, but considering the age of your system, I'm sure the 5670 will outperform your previous card. On a side note, the 5670 uses almost no power (Max power draw of only 61W), which should be comparable or less than your previous card, which means you will not need to get a new PSU. It's usually better to get the most out of what you have and save up for a new PC if you need it.

~Coffee

PS: Can you check your PSU??? Depending on the model you have, you might be able to run a ATI 5770 [Significantly more capable than the 5670 AND you won't need to worry about bottleneck with your current CPU].

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a corsair 550VX watt psu that I upgraded went I put my 8800GT in a few years back. Would a 5670 be the same or better than my 8800GT was? So, the cards I was originally looking at would be pointless right now, the GTX 460?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2011 4:34:21 AM

PcGuy1 said:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a corsair 550VX watt psu that I upgraded went I put my 8800GT in a few years back. Would a 5670 be the same or better than my 8800GT was? So, the cards I was originally looking at would be pointless right now, the GTX 460?

The GTX 460 and the HD 6850 will work fine with your PSU. They would both be worthwhile upgrades to onboard video obviously, but they would perform better than the 8800GT as well.

You're running a core 2, which I am thinking is LGA 775, so you could likely drop a core 2 quad in there, but it would depend on your motherboard. Check your motherboard manufacturers website for their approved CPU list.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the CPU bottleneck stuff. From my perspective, the problem with your dual core is it runs at a fairly slow clock speed. But you should have no problems running most games with some lowered settings. To me, you are asking if the graphics upgrade would be worthwhile and the answer is yes. I don't think its wise to throw too much money at this aging machine, get a graphics card and save toward a platform upgrade in the near future.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2011 4:46:29 AM

buzznut said:
The GTX 460 and the HD 6850 will work fine with your PSU. They would both be worthwhile upgrades to onboard video obviously, but they would perform better than the 8800GT as well.

You're running a core 2, which I am thinking is LGA 775, so you could likely drop a core 2 quad in there, but it would depend on your motherboard. Check your motherboard manufacturers website for their approved CPU list.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the CPU bottleneck stuff. From my perspective, the problem with your dual core is it runs at a fairly slow clock speed. But you should have no problems running most games with some lowered settings. To me, you are asking if the graphics upgrade would be worthwhile and the answer is yes. I don't think its wise to throw too much money at this aging machine, get a graphics card and save toward a platform upgrade in the near future.

I agree. If you just need a card now, and are going to upgrade the whole system, who cares if your card is bottlenecked a bit now... If you get a slower card then when you upgrade your system your card will be the bottleneck. no reason to build a new rig until you can afford it. The 6770 or 6850 will be fine for your current situation. I would lean towards the fast of the two though so when you upgrade your card won't be the slow point
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 12:43:27 PM

PcGuy1 said:

Since you have a Corsair 550W PSU, I'll have to change my recommendation to a ATI 6870 or the GTX 460. Both cards offer significant performance boost over your previous 8800GT. There are currently some decent deals at newegg.com [Links Below]

XFX 6870 1GB [Comes w/ a free copy of Dirt 3]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus GTX460 1GB [Cheaper than the 6870]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would recommend getting just a graphics card for your current system and start saving up for a new system should you desire.

~Coffee
m
l
October 4, 2011 3:56:09 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Going to go with the GTX 460.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2011 6:29:50 PM

PcGuy1 said:
Thanks for the help everyone. Going to go with the GTX 460.

grats, happy gaming
m
l
!