Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU fan making clicking noise.

Last response: in Components
March 3, 2012 5:01:46 PM

100% positive it's the fan. Tested it and the PSU I have is notorious for it..: LINK

I had to get a replacement the first time I bought it because of the warranty. Almost 2 years later the noise back BUT ALSO the warranty is up on it so I can't get a replacement this time.

So how do I fix it? New fan, grease it, etc.?

I really don't want to spend $60+.
March 3, 2012 5:58:37 PM

It could be something as simple as a wire or something hitting the fan as it spins. In case you aren't that lucky, grease isn't a bad idea, and it should do the trick if you ball-bearings are worn/out of lubricant.
March 3, 2012 6:03:09 PM

How long should I let my PSU stand before opening it?
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2012 6:24:17 PM

It would be easier to replace the fan with one that has a similar air flow in CFMs.

The bearings used in fans are either a sleeve bearing or a ball bearing.

1. Sleeve bearings are made from sintered porous bronze material and are oil impregnated (see Oilite bearings). Usually these bearings are of an oiled-for-life design. However, a minute (1/4 drop) of light machine oil SAE 10 would help if the bearing is dry. This oiling must be repeated on a semi-annual basis.

2. Ball bearings are sealed for life and usually cannot be oiled. The lubricant inside this type of bearing is grease, and oil will cause it to deteriorate quicker.
March 3, 2012 9:03:22 PM

Dimensions are fine.

**EDIT**

I opened up the PSU and it's a 2-pin molex connector AND it goes into a sleeve so I can only fit a 2-pin in there..... The fan I posted uses a 3-pin and is the only 135MM fan on Newegg.

Ugh.... Is it worth cutting the wire's up? Getting a PSU like mine will cost way over for what I got it for since I got it on sale during the holidays for 2/3 the original price. I really don't want to go backwards on my hardware.
a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2012 9:22:48 PM

cronik93 said:
Dimensions are fine.

**EDIT**

I opened up the PSU and it's a 2-pin molex connector AND it goes into a sleeve so I can only fit a 2-pin in there..... The fan I posted uses a 3-pin and is the only 135MM fan on Newegg.

Ugh.... Is it worth cutting the wire's up? Getting a PSU like mine will cost way over for what I got it for since I got it on sale during the holidays for 2/3 the original price. I really don't want to go backwards on my hardware.

Yes, sure, cut and splice the wires. Make sure that the correct wires are connected (fan to power).

To ensure integrity, 'tin' the ends and then solder them for a good connection. I have done this in order to add fan connections to the PSU power leads. I used electrical tape and also some heatshrink tubing (optional) for a better appearance. (If you plan to use heatshrink tubing, make sure you insert the ends through the tubing before doing the soldering).
March 14, 2012 2:29:44 AM

Best answer selected by cronik93.
a b ) Power supply
March 14, 2012 2:04:55 PM

Thank you!
!