Random Computer Freezes?

soloft

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
So, I upgraded my computer during the summer and kept the parts of my old one. My fiance ended up needing a new computer, so I decided I would give her the old one I had. When I had the old computer, it worked just fine, but when I gave it to her I had to replace a few things. Firstly, I took out the liquid cooling system (Corsair H50) and put in the OEM cooler that came with the CPU. I also replaced the GPU with a GTX 560 (not Ti).
The problem, now, is that when she plays games or starts up the computer, the system will freeze. The screen will go black and may or may not come back. I figure that is due to the GPU driver, but updating to the most up to date and using the driver from the Manufacturer (Gigabyte) does not help either. Also, sometimes when the computer starts up the Wifi card is not detected by the system. Lastly, the keyboard has buttons for volume control that don't work all the time. If they don't work, they won't work until the system is restarted.

Here are the system specs:
Intel Core2Quad Q8400 @ stock
8 GB DDR2 RAM (Gateway OEM)
250GB WD Blue 2.5''
Gigabyte GTX 560
ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo
550 W Athena Power PSU
Atheros Wifi card (not sure of the exact model, but I can find out if needed.)

Here is what I have tried:
Update GPU driver
Use provided GPU driver
Clean install of GPU driver
Clean install of Wifi card driver
Upgraded from Thermaltake 450 Watt PSU
Virus Scan

Last bit of information that might be helpful: the hard drive was in her old Gateway laptop, and we just popped it into the desktop, did not reinstall Windows. Her old laptop had an AMD processor. Would that have anything to do with it?

Please help, I feel horrible for giving her a computer that was supposed to be an upgrade from her broken laptop, and so far this has just been a headache for me and her both.