Sound not working

yewvictor

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I'm running windows 7 64-bit on a self built computer with an P8Z77-V motherboard. The sound was working before at home. I then had to disconnect my whole computer, before bringing it to uni, then connected it all up again when i arrived at my new place. I also bought a wireless pci-e adaptor for it, that I connected to the motherboard. After these two events, i noticed that my sound had stopped working.

I tried the Microsoft troubleshooter for "no sound". And it says "Audio playback device was not detected". However, when I plug and unplug the audio device from my desktop PC, there is a speech bubble that pops up from the system tray saying "You just plugged/unplugged a device into the audio jack", so my operating system does detect my device, but the Microsoft troubleshooter says that an audio playback device was not detected.

My speakers still work on my laptop PC, so the problem does not concern my speakers. I have tried other audio devices in my desktop machine, and they have the same problem.

Things I have tried:
- I have re-installed the sound driver (Realtek high definition audio driver suitable for my motherboard)
- I have uninstalled the software downloaded from the CD that came with my wireless PCI-E adaptor AND taken out the wireless adapter pci-e card from my machine all together
- I have double checked that I have plugged my audio devices in the right port
- 2 x System restores, both to points in the past when my sound was working

I have not tried re-installing windows, but would really prefer to avoid this, as I do not have the discs, they are a long way from where I currently am.

Btw when i connect it with a HDMI cable its making sound. so ya

Any attempt of help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Fdx216

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I had that problem on my computer i use for tv, I had to go into the sound setting and change it for which device i would use say for headphones i would i have to select the front port and turn the sound up. And if i wanted to use an HDMI cable i would then again need to switch the setting to allow the sound to play that way.