FOLDERS VIEW FORGOTTEN - TRIED EVERYTHING!!!!!

Hello all,

I recently run into the issue with Windows "forgetting"
the view setting for my folders. I searched for hours the
internet on this and tried all the solution suggested
with no success.
I also tried the remedy suggested by Microsoft in their
Knowledge Base Article 813711, but to no avail.
I tried also to entirely delete the subkeys BagMRU and
Bags as suggest by posting found on various newsgroup,
and yet no success.
I feel like I want to scream... The only changes the
folders seems to remember are when I reset everything to
the default, letting Windows decide how to show files
(Thumbnail, filmstrip,details, etc.) or when I make
changes to one folder and click on "Apply to all Folders".
The "Remember each folder's view setting" box is of
course checked in "Folder Options/View".
Has anyone a fix for this? I don't know what else to try
if even Microsoft's fix doesn't work................

Thanks, Paolo.
7 answers Last reply
More about folders view forgotten everything

    Hi,

    Did you try MVP Kelly's comprehensive website with Tweaks and edits ? You may want to download and apply the following
    edit:

    Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

    Thereafter, reset the folder views and set the view of the folders according to your needs.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Paolo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9e0d01c486c1$097c55d0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I recently run into the issue with Windows "forgetting"
    > the view setting for my folders. I searched for hours the
    > internet on this and tried all the solution suggested
    > with no success.
    > I also tried the remedy suggested by Microsoft in their
    > Knowledge Base Article 813711, but to no avail.
    > I tried also to entirely delete the subkeys BagMRU and
    > Bags as suggest by posting found on various newsgroup,
    > and yet no success.
    > I feel like I want to scream... The only changes the
    > folders seems to remember are when I reset everything to
    > the default, letting Windows decide how to show files
    > (Thumbnail, filmstrip,details, etc.) or when I make
    > changes to one folder and click on "Apply to all Folders".
    > The "Remember each folder's view setting" box is of
    > course checked in "Folder Options/View".
    > Has anyone a fix for this? I don't know what else to try
    > if even Microsoft's fix doesn't work................
    >
    > Thanks, Paolo.

    Anando,

    yes, I tried Kelly's registry tweak. It didn't work...
    Unless there is a "tricky" procedure to follow after
    running Kelly's tweak, I don't know what else I can do.
    After applying the tweak I restarted Windows and tried to
    change Windows Explorer size to full screen and view from
    icon to list. No results, after I close and reopen it, it
    is back to the same size and to icon view.

    I guess I'll read carefully David post and try what he is
    suggesting.

    This is soooooooooo frustrating.

    Paolo.

    Hi,

    Here is the procedure as stated by the creator of the edit, MVP Kelly herself:

    </quote>

    Windows remembers 400 folder settings. When that number is reached some settings aren't retained any longer. You can
    change this to 8000 by adding this edit to the registry.

    Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

    Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files
    can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    </unquote>

    --

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a10a01c4871d$587747b0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Anando,
    >
    > yes, I tried Kelly's registry tweak. It didn't work...
    > Unless there is a "tricky" procedure to follow after
    > running Kelly's tweak, I don't know what else I can do.
    > After applying the tweak I restarted Windows and tried to
    > change Windows Explorer size to full screen and view from
    > icon to list. No results, after I close and reopen it, it
    > is back to the same size and to icon view.
    >
    > I guess I'll read carefully David post and try what he is
    > suggesting.
    >
    > This is soooooooooo frustrating.
    >
    > Paolo.

    The store may be corrupt. Type regedit in Start Run and delete all these keys. Then read the last section carefully (Apply to All).

    Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things like saved folder settings.
    Type Regedit in Start - Run
    Click Start - Turn Off Computer (or maybe Shutdown) - Ctrl + Alt + Shift + click Cancel (or Close) (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappear).

    In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and delete the value
    Shellstate

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState and delete the value
    Settings

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU (may not exist)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
    [the above one is what reset deletes, 90% of the time it is sufficient but 10% of the time the BagMRU needs to be deleted too. If you know what cross linked files are the same thing is happening here - the BagMRU point to the wrong Bag or serveral BagMRU point to the same bag]

    Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come back).

    You then need to reconfigure explorer and the desktop.

    Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders
    In Windows 2000 Professional, the view you use is not always permanently saved in Windows Explorer. You can control whether the views you use are saved permanently or temporarily by using the Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see figure 9.3).

    By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. When you choose to leave this setting enabled, the following happens:

    a.. The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder.
    b.. The view you use to view one folder is not applied to other folders.
    c.. When you open a folder, it opens in the view you used when you last viewed it.
    When you clear the check box for Remember each folder's view settings, the following happens:

    a.. When you start Windows Explorer, the first folder you view displays in the folder's saved view. Windows Explorer holds that view in temporary memory and applies it to all the folders that you visit while Windows Explorer remains open unless you manually alter the view.
    b.. As you browse to other folders (after the initial folder is opened), the saved view for each folder is ignored, and when you quit Windows Explorer, the folder view that you have been using to view multiple folders is deleted from temporary memory.
    c.. The next time you open Windows Explorer, once again, it is the saved view of the first folder you open that determines how you view multiple folders.
    Setting All Folders to the Same View
    Some users want to have all their Windows Explorer folders set to the same view. In Windows 2000 Professional, the default setting is that any change made to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder and is not applied to other folders. However, you can set all folders to the same view by using the Folder Options command as described in the following procedure.

    To set all folders to the same view
    1.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, set the view to your preference.
    2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3.. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
    4.. Under Folder Views, click Like Current Folder.
    Important The Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see Figure 9.3) affects how the view settings of individual folders are applied and saved. For more information about the impact of clearing this check box, see "Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders" earlier in this chapter.

    Windows 2000 Resource Kit

    And check

    NoSaveSettings
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Data type Range Default value
    REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0

    Description
    Prevents users from saving certain changes to the
    desktop. Users can change the desktop, but some changes,
    such as the positions of open windows and the size and
    position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log
    off. Shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved.

    This entry stores the setting of the Don't save settings
    at exit Group Policy. Group Policy adds this entry to the
    registry with a value of 1 when you enable the policy. If
    you disable the policy or set it to Not configured, Group
    Policy deletes the entry from the registry and the system
    behaves as though the value is 0.

    Value Meaning
    0 (or not in registry) The policy is disabled or
    not configured. Changes to the desktop are saved.
    1 The policy is enabled. Some changes to the desktop are not saved.

    Windows 2000 Resource Kit Reference

    Saved folder settings are stored in BagMRU. Defaults and network/removable drives are stored in Streams key (as everything was in earlier versions).

    You have to do Apply To All while in a file folder.
    For each type of object (File Folder, Control Panel, My Computer, etc) that you do an Apply to All in it's clsid and the settings are created/updated at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults

    {F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837} is ordinary folders, and other numbers are what ever they are (My Comp, Control Panel, etc - note My Docs is an ordinary folder). They only appear IF you do an apply to all in that type of object.

    as well as a higher set of defaults at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    Settings=

    So the point being in the order that you do things. You want to do your overall default setting last. This is how I advised someone who asked

    > Can someone please tell me how to force Windows to keep
    > the seperate folder view settings I choose? I have
    > checked and rechecked the box in folder options for it to
    > remember, but it has no memory for that issue. To be more
    > specific; I want to always have the thumbnail view in My
    > Pictures and also in the Control Panel Dialog, but every
    > time I open them I have to manually set that view.

    Set Control Panel how you want then Tools - View - Apply To All Folders. This sets the global default and the Control Panel type of objects defaults (but the system default remains the same - it can't be changed but all other defaults/settings override it). Then go to an ordinary folder (as My Pics is for this feature) and set it how you want all folders but CP. Then Tools - View - Apply To All Folders. This sets the global default and the file folder type of object defaults (CP's default settings will still override the global). Then set My Pics how you want it and do nothing else as we are saving it by the checkbox Remember Folder Settings AND BY THE PATH WE GOT THERE. EG

    Desktop\My Comp\C:\Documents & Settings\user name\My Docs\My Pics
    is a different setting to
    Desktop\My Comp\My Docs\My Pics

    There is some searching for similar settings but the path used, if too different, means it won't find the settings for similar named folders.

    The system defaults (and saved settings for individual folders already opened) are the only setting unless you've done an Apply To All, eg no global or type defaults.

    Plus if you hold down control and click close it also updates
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Shellstate=

    This is mainly setting irrelevent things except it holds the global sort, which all the others override. But File Open dialog boxes only use this setting, so it basically only affects sorting in File Open dialogs. But it seems that sometimes an earlier windows versions setting get written here and other settings then aren't saved

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Paolo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9e0d01c486c1$097c55d0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I recently run into the issue with Windows "forgetting"
    > the view setting for my folders. I searched for hours the
    > internet on this and tried all the solution suggested
    > with no success.
    > I also tried the remedy suggested by Microsoft in their
    > Knowledge Base Article 813711, but to no avail.
    > I tried also to entirely delete the subkeys BagMRU and
    > Bags as suggest by posting found on various newsgroup,
    > and yet no success.
    > I feel like I want to scream... The only changes the
    > folders seems to remember are when I reset everything to
    > the default, letting Windows decide how to show files
    > (Thumbnail, filmstrip,details, etc.) or when I make
    > changes to one folder and click on "Apply to all Folders".
    > The "Remember each folder's view setting" box is of
    > course checked in "Folder Options/View".
    > Has anyone a fix for this? I don't know what else to try
    > if even Microsoft's fix doesn't work................
    >
    > Thanks, Paolo.

    Anando,

    thanks for following-up on this. I did exactly what Kelly
    writes, and yet nothing happened... F.Y.I, I also tried
    what David suggested, which seems to be somewhat
    more "radical" in cleaning up the registry, but nothing
    changed either.

    I find astonishing it is so complicated to solve such an
    (apparently) sinple issue. Why the deafult limit has been
    set to 400 views in the first place? People use computers
    for everything these days. It is only a matter of time
    before each one of us hit the 400 remembered view limit.

    Regards, Paolo.

    I suppose David's answer will answer all your querries :o)

    --

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b7c201c4891d$cde54c70$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > Anando,
    >
    > thanks for following-up on this. I did exactly what Kelly
    > writes, and yet nothing happened... F.Y.I, I also tried
    > what David suggested, which seems to be somewhat
    > more "radical" in cleaning up the registry, but nothing
    > changed either.
    >
    > I find astonishing it is so complicated to solve such an
    > (apparently) sinple issue. Why the deafult limit has been
    > set to 400 views in the first place? People use computers
    > for everything these days. It is only a matter of time
    > before each one of us hit the 400 remembered view limit.
    >
    > Regards, Paolo.

    In the last few months I have used 179 folders. This takes up 216 KiBytes. So
    1. 400 is perfectly reasonable, many of those saved folder settings no longer have folders. If I ever hit 400, and I haven't yet in years (but I reset testing this and that), then it will roll out.

    2. If 179 = 216KB then, if linear, 400 would equal 482 KiBytesm 4000 would equal 4.82 Mbyte. This will slow boot and shutdown and people would complain about MS storing old useless data.

    Kelly's reg file delete the most common registry keys. I add ALL keys, including less common ones causing problems.

    I suggest you reread the WHOLE article and check the settings I mention. Also read the last section.