Graphics Card for ASUS P4P800

G

I have an ASUS P4P800 mother board with the 128mb nVidia ti 4600 video card. I'm looking to upgrade my video card on an old desktop. So far what I've come across is the 1gb Radeon HD 4670 8x AGP for $113 on Amazon & NewEgg. Does anyone know if the HD 4670 is even compatible with the P4P800? Also, is there any other video cards I'd wanna shop for or look at?

thanks in advance

What CPU do you have? If you have one of the weaker Pentium 4s or a Celeron, you may not get the full performance out of a 4670. Also, what do you intend to do with the upgrade? If you are looking at playing modern games, you really should look at a new system. Any Pentium 4 system is quite obsolete at this point. Many current games have a dual core CPU is a minimum requirement.

If you don't want to build a new system, the 4670 is the best AGP card you will be able to find easily. There is only one other card that is slightly more powerful, the HD 3870 AGP, but it had a very limited production run, and is quite rare. Your board does have an AGP 8x slot, so it will support the 4670 AGP just fine.

G

Thanks for the reply. Laptop just died so I'm trying to see how usable this old desktop would be. It has a Pentium 4 2.26GHz 533MHz 512KB Socket 478 CPU and 4gb of RAM. I was gonna buy the HD 4670 video card in hopes that I could play SW:TOR this Winter. I'm not trying to play Crysis or any other newer games, wasn't even sure if a single core Pentium 4 CPU would be enough for SW:TOR.

Yeah, that system is not going to cut it, even with a graphics upgrade. You have a rather slow Pentium 4, and that just won't be able to run any modern games. The minimum specs for The Old Republic call for at least a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or Athlon 64 X2 4000, both dual cores, so even trying to overclock your Pentium 4 isn't going to help. All you can do is try to save up more money for a new system, there is no way that old machine can be upgraded to be able to play The Old Republic.

G

I just checked SW:TOR's website this is what they have listed as system requirements for the game

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP or later

Since I've only got a single core, not an Intel Core 2 Duo, does this mean I'm pretty much screwed regardless of my video card? If so, you just saved me $113 bucks cuz I just about placed the order on NewEgg.

As said above, your system will never be able to run The Old Republic.

TRENDING THREADS