When will it be worth upgrading CPU?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 6:27:32 PM

Ok first off this isn't some flame thread so lets all keep things sensible.

The Question is when will it be worth while to upgrade a CPU for a machine that games and does general duties ?
I'm not talking high end gaming with all the sliders set to the right and all the whistles and bells turned on. Just normal high end gaming.
Games now are coming out that seem to need or at least appreciate 4 cores like Skyrim, yet I have a PC that has a dual core AMD cpu which is obviously way slower than something like say an i5 2500k.
However in a gaming context while being faster, its overkill faster if that makes sense ? who needs extra FPS on top of what is already quite adequate ? 75 Vs 115 etc.

AMD shot through with Bulldozer, that's just not a consideration. So we wait for Pile driver from those guys. I hear, don't know how true it is but from review sites and magazines it seems that there will be no real leap of improvement with Ivy bridge as there is no challenge from AMD why put out performance you can hold and upgrade to to sell to the public at a later date should Pile driver show up and be a threat.

Phenom II prices have just been slashed but you cant buy them in the UK so that's pointless as far as I am concerned. Would have considered a 955 or 965 if I could get hold of one.

Also Ivy bridge need a new chip set for full implementation of the features, at least that's what I am seeing on the net.

So basically I'm left looking at needing a new platform to make a worth while CPU upgrade, so where is the smart money ?
Do I skip Ivy bridge and wait for what's next? What is next ?

Sorry it got a bit longer than I intended, thanks for reading

Mactronix :) 

More about : worth upgrading cpu

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:20:42 PM

Hi :) 

Is that actually a question ?

As we dont do prophecy here...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:23:43 PM

Thanks for the link. So Haswell then skylake. At least I can do a bit of research now. Don't see AMD being worth while any time soon.
I have been in the position where my PC wouldn't play a game before, once a very long time ago when I first bought a PC.
I do not want to be in that position again so wont be running what I have into the ground to the point where I cant play new games.
Now I have an Idea what's coming I can research the chips and look at upcoming games to decide the best upgrade window.

Thanks

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:27:57 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Is that actually a question ?

As we dont do prophecy here...

All the best Brett :) 

I have been looking around this section of the forums for info, what I have noticed is that you seem to major in posting sarcasm. Do you actually post relevant and useful replies at all ?

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:35:54 PM

If you look around Phenom II's are still about. I know there were a fair few yesterday on amazon (Denebs and Thuban) and a few sites still have 960T's (I really rate my 960T... runs as a nice 6 core 1605T @ 3.89GHZ).
March 3, 2012 7:36:37 PM

This is all subjective really, when you refer to "normal high-end gaming," there is really no definition of what that is to you.

If you're playing a games and having no issues with the experience, why upgrade? If you want to go up to a 26-30in monitor and run at resolutions of 1920x1200 or higher, upgrading your video card (depending on what you're using) may be the way to go.

Games like Skyrim that are heavily dependent on your CPU will certainly gain from the addition of a more powerful CPU; again, it really falls back to what games you like to play and how much money you want to spend.

So, if you are looking for a better gaming experience than your current system offers, then its time to start doing some research.... if you're running 75-115 in the games you play, then just be happy :) 
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:48:10 PM

Sorry i jumped the gun there and forgot the meat of me message (long day).

The Phenom route could let you remain on your current chipset for a while to come and offer you a large boost from your current CPU, tiding you over till newer releases. Its also a lowish cost way of doing this. £93 could tide you over then till Piledriver (if it delivers) or Haswell (or whatever it is Intel call the one after Ivy). Of course I'm assuming here your Mobo is AM3 if not that adds anything between 30-90 on top the CPU price. But a £90 AM3 board is far more featured than the similar price Intel board.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 7:56:00 PM

wr6133 said:
If you look around Phenom II's are still about. I know there were a fair few yesterday on amazon (Denebs and Thuban) and a few sites still have 960T's (I really rate my 960T... runs as a nice 6 core 1605T @ 3.89GHZ).

Wow that's impressive. I am aware of this chip but there seem to be no reviews from the usual sites. I may have to invest in one of those.

@ Ironwilly,

Yes I see what you mean about the subjective thing. I'm at 1920 x 1080 with a 555BE and a 5850 at the moment and I have yet to struggle, with no game not loading up at least high settings all round when installing.
So you see there is room for improvement there yet I don't want to waste money when its not really needed. However if I wait then I may end up back where I don't want to be again with games coming out I physically cant play.

That's why I was looking for info regarding upgrading and also where the when will it be worth it. If I don't get a 960T then Haswell, which I was not aware of before, sounds like my best bet.

Thanks

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 8:02:56 PM

The unlock to 6 core isn't a definite though it seems to be a better than fair chance. On 4 cores though OC's of 4.0GHZ are easy. The CPU didnt seem to receive alot of attention I think it was initially an OEM only then was released to the public quietly later. They call it a "Zosma" core which is a Thuban with 2 cores disabled to make it a quad.

I struggled to find alot of info before i bought mine but I have to say I'm more than happy with it to. (Unlike the bulldozer i put in the HTPC now that thing is truly Cr@p and getting replaced very soon)
March 3, 2012 8:21:47 PM

It sounds like you're doing well with your current system! The 5850 supports DirectX 11, which is good, and you should have a few upgrade options in terms of CPU before you have to start all over with a new board.

What I would do is check with your motherboard manufacturer to see which of the new CPUs is supported by your board, and then you can upgrade based on that to maximize the life of your system. An AM3+ quad or hexa-core CPU should certainly extend the (relevant) life of the system, and save you some money over a complete overhaul.

I think what you were referring to in your gaming-type comparison is the difference between casual gaming and (perhaps) hardcore gaming. The main difference being a casual gaming system is built to just enjoy the game, whereas an extreme, or hardcore, gaming system is built so that the user can crank every setting up to max, tweak ever driver and squeeze every ounce of visual quality out of the game to maximize the gamer-gasm. While it may look prettier, it certainly isn't required by all.

Edit: The reason why you should check with the MB manu is so that you can be sure there is a new version of the bios that supports the CPU you want to upgrade to. Depending on the manufacturer, you may be able to choose any AM3+ or the list may be much more specific.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 8:38:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, been very helpful, as suggested I have checked and can use the 960T with a bios upgrade.
While I can unlock my 555 BE to 4 cores, its only truly stable with 3.
Getting a 960T should see me right for a good while haswell and beyond I should think.

Thanks

!