Need help with choosing new case for my stock HP desktop

eclipsebmx

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hi, I am new to this forum and i know only a little bit about computers.

Ok so i have HP h8xt computer that i built at HP website (since i have no skill of building and assembling my own custom pc). Like all stock computers it gets pretty hot inside due to poor ventilation. The case has only one exhaust fan at the back and has 2 mesh holes on the side next to graphics card and 1 by hardrive. I have been wanting new case since ive noticed high temps. inside the case.It also gets pretty loud. I have gtx580 graphic card not overclocked,the only thing i changed is the speed of fan, which i set up so the temp. doesn't get higher then 80 C using MSI afterburner.while at 75% fan,it does get pretty loud i'd say louder then other fans. power supply is stock one and its 600W and mounted on top.i have intel i7-2600 with stock heatsink and fan.it reaches max around 70C under load and idles around 45C.everything else is stock also including mobo and ram. i also have blue ray and multi dvd drive,wireless n-lan card,15-in-1 memory card reader (which is almost touching my gtx580),2 top usb 3.0 ports and headphone jack thing and beats audio 5.1 in the back.the case outside dimensions are about 16"length x 16"height x 7"width.i don't know if that's mid tower,full tower or whatever it is.wiring that HP did is a mess.its only zip tied.

this is the computer i have:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=h8xt_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance/h8xt_series

Now the big question i am asking is: Will i be able to buy new case for my computer replacing stock HP case, but keeping all (or most of) the parts i have already??(i feel like they are pretty good and don't need replacing,plus they are not older then 4 months). Will my current parts fit and work with new case? What case would be good? My main concern is with mobo cuz its stock and i have no clue if it would mount properly in new case.but i am also concerned about everything else.

In future i might consider liquid cooling but for now i'd rather have cool air ventilated case. My max limit to spend on a case is $150. I heard that this website has some really helpful people to help with stuff like this. So please help me to decide what i should do. If you need more information about my PC that will help,please let me know. I really want to get a new case but have no clue if it will work out or not. I tried to look for answers on internet but so far no luck.
Thanks

The motherboard front panels are different, hp makes their own front panel connectors (power button, usb etc) while cooler master etc have front panel connectors for not oem motherboards.

eclipsebmx

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Yea i guess that wouldn't work :(.i just really need intake fan in the front of the case but there's no way to add it there.
would side fan work as well as front,even tho is not in line directly facing back exhaust fan? side fan in my case would be blowing onto ram sticks.just wondering

A single side fan actually has a greater effect on cooling than a single front-mounted fan. Read this article for some great info on fan placement and impact on cooling: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/1

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If you can get a fan that fits in the drive bay and remove the front panel cover that hides the slot you may be able to more cool air in there (google drive bay cooling fan).

Did you buy the 580 with your system? They dont show that as an option , and the highest specced card they have (the radeon 6850) only pulls approx 280 watts total. Your card can do approx 450 maxed out. If it isn't an OEM installed option, you are probably exceeding their max thermal design of their case by at least 100 watts if not more.

Without knowing anyone with your exact model, there is no way to tell if your motherboard is a standard one that can be moved to another case. The website says it is a uATX case, so you can try finding a case that can fit that board but is bigger, the problem is that there is no guarantee to how standard all the other connectors are.

eclipsebmx

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Thnx I read some of it and yea u r right.i might just add side fan and leave one exhaust fan in the lower rear of the case.i think that would work the best for me.hopefully ill get some temp drops

eclipsebmx

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

ok so i all i have is expansion bay which is directly in front of graphics card.it would be used for cd/dvd bay but i didnt choose secondary and its not used for anything.i dont know i could fit a fan there since the space is so small but wide.i cant access harddrive bay thru the front only if i open the case and add it from the side.

yes 580 came with my system.that's one of the reasons why i bought this stock HP computer.they had it as a option for not too long so i didn't wait.i have 600watt power supply so i don't know if i am exceeding thermal design.i read that minimum power supply for 580 is 600watts ,so i should be safe.if that's what u meant..

and yea i think my case is uATX as i did some research on HP cases but not 100% sure. is there a way i can find out by looking at my motherboard/other way that would help me to find out??
and yea u r right i feel like other connectors are specially made for mass production of HP computers which have all some connection configurations with mobo and other things.i would really want to try at least,but dont wanna waste $100 on case and take everything apart and find out it won't work

eclipsebmx

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

lol its surving pretty good i maxed it out to 82C under load with speed of fan 75%. usually it is at 80 under heavy load and i read that it is completely normal for this card to run an that temp.so im not worried just cautious

TRENDING THREADS