HP 9700 loss of DVD drive

Mo Craft

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
My dvd drive has gone missing over the past month and has come and gone at will. I searched microsoft support and did the registry upgrade and followed instructions and once at the end, the area I needed to shut off (filters) that were supposed to be in the right hand pane were not there, so that did nothing. I have Vista operating system. The solutions always mentioned checking my connections and I just downloaded the service and maintenance manual from HP. I thought I would start by taking the actual device out of the right side and then re-install as the electrical connecitons are on the board and the unit just plugs in. But before I go this route I joing this group hoping there would be an easlier less stressful solution or some tips. I don't use computer lingo very well but am mechanically inclined so the actual removal should be fine, but looking for tips.

tks

Mo

That's the correct 1st troubleshooting step.
You should find it quite easy.

Mo Craft

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Here it is Sunday, March 4 and the darn drive is back and I haven't done a thing. So go figure, but I'll bet by the end of the day or tomorrow it will be gone again. I went into my control panel and under drives, I found it there now under devices. It is a Pioneer DVDRW DR-KDo8HB ATA Device, if this helps with any solutions.

tks

Mo