Sign in with
Your question

Defective 3pin plug in FAN connector on mobo

Last response: in Components
March 3, 2012 9:27:21 PM

Can someone please advice. I have a dell dimension 4400 desktop and i notice the cpu fan had stop spinning so i had it replaced but still did not spin. i had my husband test the connector on the MOBO but the pin that supports the black wire he said was dead. i really like this computer and would be so glad if someone can advice how to solve this issue. i am a newbie to solving these issues now learning. PLEASE HELP!!
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 3, 2012 10:09:50 PM

The black wire should be ground, just run a trace from the fans black wire pin to any other ground, like one from a molex maybe
Or measure the fan and buy a replacement,
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 12:05:51 AM

you can run the fan off a molex if you like, just get a 3pin to molex adapter...
the only issue is the cpu fan will then run at max speed all the time... which in most cases isnt a problem unless its particularly noisy.

also as you hubby is able to spot a dead connection its likely he knows how to use a soldering iron... get him to check the solder on the pin and retrace it back and soler any dry joints on the way that seem suspect...
dont use a soldering iron over 25w though as it will likely damage the board. this is potentially dangerous to your motherboard so do it at your own risk.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2012 12:06:44 AM

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO I WILL TRY DOING THAT.
m
l
March 9, 2012 5:49:19 PM

hi guys i got the 3pin to 4pin adapter i connected it to the 4pin adapter and believe me i was stuck with the cpu fan in my hand did't know what to do. this is a real test of endurance. please Help.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 5:58:58 PM

The fan is not working even plugged into the Psu?
I would suspect that the fan is dead then,
Moto
m
l
March 9, 2012 6:05:51 PM

the adapter came with a 3pin that cannot be plugged into cpu fan, it like putting 2 dummies to each other. i hope u understand what i am saying
m
l
March 9, 2012 6:26:39 PM

thank u so much. this is exactly what i should have gotten must have the male and female 3pin. will keep u posted about my progress.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 6:30:52 PM

No problem, Glad to help and I'll keep an eye out for updates :) 
Moto
m
l
!