Sign in with
Your question

$1,300 Build Needs Critique/Input

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2011 7:54:47 AM

Prelude: Sorry for the lengthy post, I tried to format it the best I could in order to present the data to you all in an easy-to-read format. Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback!

Please, if you are going to reply to this thread, keep it relevant to the OP.

If you would like to reply to the questions I have made, be sure to provide reasoning behind your suggestions.

Overview:
Quote:

1. PC Used for Gaming

2. Roughly $1,300 Budget

3. Buying from USA

4. No Brand Preference

5. Parts Available to Salvage:
-Windows 7 Ultimate
-CD Drive
-Monitor
-Mouse
-650W Power Supply
-74gb WD Raptor (x2)

6. I've browsed related threads about 2-3 pages deep.

7. Would like to overclock, but not to fanatical levels.
(Unless someone would like to argue that water cooling = totally worth the performance boost it allows you to achieve through overclocking that fans could not provide)

8. 1980 x 1080

9. Plan to build as soon as I get sufficient feedback.

Proposed Rig:

Quote:

750GB Deskstar HDD $69.99

XFX Radeon 6970 2gb 256-bit $329.99

Question 1: Is it better to buy this higher-end graphics card or get two cheaper ones and put them into crossfire/SLi?

XFX 650W Power Supply $99.99
Question 2: I have a 3~4 year old 650W, should I just reuse it?

Intel i-5 2500k $224.99
Question 3: Unless there is at least a 25% performance difference in spending another $100, I think I'd stick with this one?

OCZ SSD 60GB $104.99
Question 4: Have read a LOT of negative reviews from people saying they have had problems with these, should I get from another MFC? Or are these worth the possible DOA and replacement efforts?

Lanboy PC Case $169.99
Question 5: Will all of my chosen hardware fit properly into this case?
A little more of an expensive case, but I like the appearance/size/open nature of the case.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Fatal1ty Mobo $219.99
NOTE: The motherboard is what I have had the hardest time choosing.

Question 6:
Is this mobo good, or what would you recommend?

I expect the following out of my mobo:

Easy Overclocking Capabilities (Not extreme overclocker, 1st time will be this rig)
32gb Ram Potential (Think it's necessary?)
USB 3.0
Sufficient PCI ports of the necessary speed (at least 2, in case I go the SLi/Crossfire route down the road)
Or whatever you all see as requirements

Misc Hardware Questions
Quote:

7. Video Card Standoff: 1256mb 320bit vs. 2gb 256bit, which is more desirable?

8. What are the differences in the different north bridge options on motherboards? (I.e. p67 vs z68)

9. A) Granted how cheap fans are, and how many spots for add-in fans there are in the Lanboy case, should I buy some extra fans? (Noise is not that big of an issue, but would rather not have a boeing landing at my feet at all times)

B) If so, what fans would you recommend? (If same performance, LED fans! :p )

TOTAL: $1,334.90

Suggestions? Changes? Comments?

Thanks for the time and consideration, really looking toward to hearing some feedback from you all!

Question-Answering Template:

Quote:

Question 1: Is it better to buy this higher-end graphics card or get two cheaper ones and put them into crossfire/SLi?

Question 2: I have a 3~4 year old 650W, should I just reuse it?

Question 3: Unless there is at least a 25% performance difference in spending another $100, I think I'd stick with this one?

Question 4: Have read a LOT of negative reviews from people saying they have had problems with these, should I get from another MFC? Or are these worth the possible DOA and replacement efforts?

Question 5:Will all of my chosen hardware fit properly into this case?
A little more of an expensive case, but I like the appearance/size/open nature of the case.

Question 6: Is this mobo good, or what would you recommend?

Question 7: Video Cards: 1256mb 320bit vs. 2gb 256bit, which is more desirable?

Question 8: What are the differences in the different north bridge options on motherboards? (I.e. p67 vs z68)

Question 9: A) Granted how cheap fans are, and how many spots for add-in fans there are in the Lanboy case, should I buy some extra fans? (Noise is not that big of an issue, but would rather not have a boeing landing at my feet at all times)

...............B) If so, what fans would you recommend? (If same performance, LED fans! :p )
November 30, 2011 9:03:32 AM

Answers:

1- Higher-end graphics card supposed to be better due to lower power consumption, lower temps, noise and do not have stuttering, but you probably will pay more.

2- Can't answer since the total wattage is not important today, you should check the 12v rail amperage, number of pci-e power connections, number of 12v rails line.
Or you could say exactly which PSU is that one so we could analyze it.

3- It's relative.
Some people pay more for a 2600k to accelerate some Autocad, design projects (hyperthreading )etc. If you going for games, you could stick with the linear approuch base.

Example: If you paying 10 dollars in a piece (base performance), or paying a full 100 bucks you get 25% more performance. No, not worth, since you will paying 1000% for a 25% 'upgrade'

Example 2: A piece costs 400 dollars (100%), or you could pay 500 dollars for a 25% more performance. Worth, since it's linear the increase.
Basicly: Stick with 2500k

4- Can't comment on that.

5- Can't comment on that.

6- I have an Asus motherboard, extremely easy to OC. You could check their Z68 mobo lines.

7- Do not choose a card by this specs, this are a much complex analysis.
Example: bandwidth analysis: 128 bits with 5ghz memory are faster than 256 bits with 2ghz memory.
Example 2:the old HD2900XT were a 512 bits card. And today it's slow for the standard card.

8- Z68 supports sdd cache (kind of useless) and you can use the internal igp from sandy bridge cpu.
Basically Z68 = P67 + H67 + SDD cache

9- Can't comment on that.
November 30, 2011 9:12:21 AM

Thanks for the reply, answered some of my general questions, but I'm not sure what your overall opinion/functionality/value of my rig configuration was :S
!