ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and 2133MHz Memory

JonathanCrow91

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I'm having an annoying issue with this motherboard. The compatibility list has CMT4GX3M2A2133C9 on it which is a 4gb kit of Corsair dominator GT but since that was withdrawn I bought the replacement 8gb kit
CMT*GX3M2B2133C9. It's technically the same memory just in an 8gb kit so there should be no issues.

However, when I enter the bios the memory originall was running at 1333mhz instead of 2133MHz and every time I tried to set it to normal specs the computer would not post and the motherboard displayed error 23.

I tried XMP profile and that also crashed.

The computer runs fine at any speed below 2133 and I am currently running the same memory at 1600mhz with cl7 timings. But i'd like it to run as it should and wonder if anyone out there knew a fix? I'm unable to test any other memory as this is my only set of ddr3 memory.

Is it me just being a bit silly or should I be worried about this at all? I'm certain the performance difference would be minimal but it's frustrating to see tbh. Especially when there is a pair of fans cooling these dimms of underclocked memory... -_-'

A little help please ^_^

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Using a single module try clearCMOS first (see user manual for the correct procedure for your board)

Since the memory controller is integrated in the CPU it can also be CPU related. Most Ivy Bridge CPUs officially support maximum DDR3 1600. Higher speeds are achieved by (automatic) overclocking.

Try contacting ASRock. If they can somehow get their hands on identical modules, there is a good chance they can fix it (if it is not somehow limited by your CPU).

JonathanCrow91

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thanks, I have tried that with both modules, no luck there and no other DDR3 to test which is a pain! I was more or less worried that it meant my CPU had a faulty memory controller. I have an i5 3750k and if that only officially supports the 1600MHz frequency then I'll just have to put up and shut up.

I dare say that 1600MHz memory at CL7 is still better than the same at CL9. I might see how far I can tighten the timings. Would doing that cause the ram to heat up more or would that only happen with frequency or maybe voltage. I've not done any real strenuous testing before.

Thanks for your reply.

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have no idea if tighter timings alone would cause a difference in temperature, so I hope someone else can answer that.

TRENDING THREADS