Motherboard not working?

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
So here is my build

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/stEY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/stEY/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/stEY/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.75 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer ($22.75 @ Amazon)
Total: $789.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-08 13:27 EST-0500)

I ordered it and for some reason, it won't power on. I have found that my power supply is fine, and my computer geek friends are almost positive it is the motherboard. How often do you get dysfunctional motherboards? does the one I chose suck or something? Could there be any other reasons why it won't boot up at all?

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
If it still does not work with the replacement, then at least you know it was not the motherboard :)

I guess you had already disconnected all non-essential components, used integrated graphics, single memory modules. Testing the board outside the chassis is often a good idea too. If not even the fans start spinning, it might be something as simple as a faulty power button. You can briefly short the pins for the power button on the motherboard to check. That should also start the system.

I hope it was the motherboard so that the new one will fix it.

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Does the CPU fan start spinning when you press the power button?

If it does...

If you can connect a chassis speaker to the speaker header on the motherboard, you might get some beep code which can tell you a bit more.

You can remove the graphics card and test with the integrated graphics instead.

And you can test with single memory modules. Maybe with other memory.

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
If the fan does not spin up then please disassemble the system first. Put the motherboard on that foam that was under it, and put it on a cardboard box. Connect the PSU (the 20 or 24 pins and also the 4 or 8 pins). Put the CPU in the socket and mount the cooler/fan. That's it, don't connect anthing else to the motherboard. Power on the PSU.

Now find out which 2 pins are for connecting the power button. The user manual should have some schematics of the motherboard that show which pins you need. Briefly short the 2 pins with a screwdriver. Shorting those 2 pins is the same as what pressing the power button normally does.

If the CPU fan still does not spin up, then you know the problem is in one of the components that you are currently using (motherboard, PSU, CPU, fan).

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Tried that...well, this is a downer because this is my first build ever. I guess I'll return everything and either buy an overpriced pc from a computer giant...or idk...ill just stick with my outdated noisey slow hp laptop. sigh.